DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Data Archival

Data Archival

Friends,

Can you pls suggest me the different Data Archival procedures and responsibilities involved in it?

In our project we have a requirement to develop a archival procedure( Not backup strategy). The requirement is stated just in one line "All transaction data should be available for 6 years and after that they have to be archived. After 6 years the data should be archived and should be made available when ever required".

This statement may not give you all details about the requirement but that is all is stated.

What I am looking forward to is a procedure about how to archive data older than 6 years and the effort required to bring it back when required.

Thanks in Advance
    Nandu
    Never give up !

Nanda Kumar - Vellore

Try to Hire Mr.Hanky he will shoot all ur Top brass for giving u like this stupid one line requirement.
    Last edited by akhadar; 09-15-2004 at 03:27 AM.

Aah - the 1 line project spec. - brings back memories of my developer days:
    -> Height of the tech boom ...late '97
    -> Buzzword then : Time to market..now, reduce TCO !!
    -> A 1 line project spec. in a telecom product dev. project led to my hiring and start of my now lackluster road into IT. The firm was an Oracle shop that was looking for C++/ProC++/Corba interface developers to Oracle 8.0.5 !! VP product dev. had no idea of the impact of the 1 liner as by the time it was done the cost overrun was 1.6 times what was budgeted but we still made money !!

Maybe I should be doing this - writing 1 line project specs..does'nt seem to have changed much..!!

What volume of data?
    How long must it be kept when "archived"?

One method is to move the archival data to a table-space (e.g. using partitioned tables) that can be made read-only, which in turn can be moved to an archival support (e.g. WORM).

Warning! You must plan to rewrite the archives to new technology if the required storage time is long, or maintain potentially obsolete hardware (we've only just got rid of some Bernoulli disk drives!).

Thanks DaPi !

The DB is expected to grow 8 GB a year ! 5 GB of these data will have to be archived. The lifespan of the data is planned as 10 years(dunno who will be out of business at that point). ie., 4 years after archival.

We have to provide a detailed procedure to the client. Will you be able to help me with more details, links or suggest some books?
    Never give up !

Nanda Kumar - Vellore

With this volume of data, you might as well keep it on the production database -- you can flag it as being "old" or "archived", or as DaPi says put in into a read-only TS, but even those options might be more work than required. These data volumes are really very small indeed.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Nandu,

You do not need a BOOK for archive process.

You need 160 GB disk space to keep 10 years data.
    8 GB * 10 = 80 GB - actual data
    Add another 80 GB for over head.
    One 160 GB disk costs $150.00 .
    After 6 years, create new tablespace(s) and move the data.
    You can write a small procedure to do it.
    Use partition if you think all data are stored in one table.

Tamil
    I was born in Vellore.

This might help for the Oracle side: http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...spaces.htm#989

You will want to see if there are any government (or other) regulations that might influence how you store your archive.

I'd agree with Slim & Tamil - not much point unless there is a regulatory constraint (e.g. holding your transactions in an un-alterable form after (say) producing the end of year balance).