DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle Enterprise Manager (login PB)

Unhappy Oracle Enterprise Manager (login PB)

Hello,

I just finished installing Oracle Tools using the OUI and invoked the OEM.

Inside the OEM, I see under Databases, something called EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA.
    1) I suppose this is a sample database (???)

WHen I click on the + to expand, I am asked for a username/password.
    2) Where can I find those values to enter there ?

ALso, I want to get started to create/configure my own database.
    3) Any good reference or source of information out there ?

PT

tahiti.oracle.com
    Jeff Hunter

Hello,

That is a good refernce, however I am overwellmed with information.

Any other suggestions ?
    I looked at the sqlnet.ora, listener.ora files and they are mostly empty.....

ideas ?

PT

To reply to your three points:

1: (a) No (b) Don't ask!

2: see 1(b)

3: Well Jeff is right (he usually is ) Its all there - but it's not made easy. Db creation can be fiendishly complex and has the most interaction with the details of the operation system.

I remember v7 coming with an OS dependant "Getting Started" manual - haven't seen that for >= v8.

The Admin manual (on tahiti), chapter 2, starts to give a simple db creation example and then loses its way.

One option is the use the Database Creation Assistant (GUI) - two problems with that: (i) it asks a lot of difficult questions that still baffle me after five years at this silly game (ii) if it doesn't work, you haven't a clue why not.

I'm a bit embarassed that I can't produce a simple example "out of a a hat".
    http://www.adp-gmbh.ch/ora/admin/cre...manually8.html
    is for v8 under Windows. At the beginning it gives a link to a UNIX style page for v9 (perhaps with mix & match you can do v9 under Windows or v8 under UNIX). You will still have to do a lot of searching (e.g. what is the default password for SYSTEM?). But if you try that path you will see what it going wrong (or right).

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DaPi
    [B]One option is the use the Database Creation Assistant (GUI) - two problems with that: (i) it asks a lot of difficult questions that still baffle me after five years at this silly game (ii) if it doesn't work, you haven't a clue why not.
    QUOTE]

One thing that the database creation tool does write is to allow you to run it and create script files. You can then try to look at them and figure out what steps need to happen to create a database.

Although these scripts don't always work out of the box.

Originally posted by gandolf989
    One thing that the database creation tool does write is to allow you to run it and create script files. You can then try to look at them and figure out what steps need to happen to create a database.
    YES - it worked GREAT under 8i, but with 9i all I get is a mass of XML/HTML (I'm probably doing something stupid). I was loth to suggest that route when I couldn't make it work!

Originally posted by DaPi
    YES - it worked GREAT under 8i, but with 9i all I get is a mass of XML/HTML (I'm probably doing something stupid).
    Check this thread and you'll be able to get database creation scripts in nice plain ASCII files...
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Thumbs up

Thanks Jurij