DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crashing MS OLE DB Driver for Oracle w/ MDAC 2.8 version

Angry Crashing MS OLE DB Driver for Oracle w/ MDAC 2.8 version

I can crash the MS OLE DB Driver for Oracle no problem. All I have to
    do is open a CDatasource, open a CSession from that, and try to
    execute a stored procedure after disconnecting the cable from the
    machine. Crashes every time. Has anyone else ever seen this?

If someone would like source code to reproduce it, I could probably code something up quickly.
    Nothing worthwhile is ever easy.

Thread split.
    Jeff Hunter

Re: Crashing MS OLE DB Driver for Oracle w/ MDAC 2.8 version

Originally posted by Dr_Cogent
    Has anyone else ever seen this?
    No.
    Jeff Hunter

Do you get an actual Oracle error message when this happens? Something in the server log perhaps?
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Originally posted by slimdave
    Do you get an actual Oracle error message when this happens? Something in the server log perhaps?
    Unfortunately no. It crashes in the bowels of their DLL and we have no way of recovering at that point.

What's the symptom(s) of the crash?
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Re: Crashing MS OLE DB Driver for Oracle w/ MDAC 2.8 version

Originally posted by Dr_Cogent
    I can crash the MS OLE DB Driver for Oracle no problem. All I have to
    do is open a CDatasource, open a CSession from that, and try to
    execute a stored procedure after disconnecting the cable from the
    machine. Crashes every time. Has anyone else ever seen this?

If someone would like source code to reproduce it, I could probably code something up quickly.
    If the MS OLE DB Driver for Oracle was coded correctly, what should be the outcome for your test?

Should you get a message saying that the database is no longer available?

It seems that you are upset because you don't like the error hadling for a Microsoft supplied program. Try plugging the cable back and see if it works.

If it does add to the documentation that the network cable must be plugged in.

Originally posted by slimdave
    What's the symptom(s) of the crash?
    All I have to do is open a CDataSource object, open a CSession object based on that CDataSource, pull the cable - and then attempt to execute a stored proc. Crashes every time. It's not something I have control over. It looks like invalid memory is being addressed based on the error (I can look up the exact error if you care to know what it is). It's not like the call just fails and I am returned an error. It dies in the bowels of the MS DLL with no ability to recover. I can even execute the stored proc in a try catch block and catch (...) - doesn't matter.

If you are really interested in seeing this, I can code up a little example to show just how easy it is to crash it.

Re: Re: Crashing MS OLE DB Driver for Oracle w/ MDAC 2.8 version

Originally posted by gandolf989
    If the MS OLE DB Driver for Oracle was coded correctly, what should be the outcome for your test?

Should you get a message saying that the database is no longer available?

It seems that you are upset because you don't like the error hadling for a Microsoft supplied program. Try plugging the cable back and see if it works.

If it does add to the documentation that the network cable must be plugged in.
    The problem is, there is no error handling in their code for this condition. The app crashes inside their DLL. I am not returned an error, because it never gets to that point. When I go to the call stack in VS .NET 2003, it doesn't show anything from my program in the stack. It's all in kernel32.dll and the driver if I remember correctly. I could post the call stack in case anyone would like to see it, but I doubt that would help identify what exactly is going on. My guess is, it's a bug in the MS OLE DB for Oracle driver.

Why don't you either user the native Oracle client or the native Oracle ODBC driver? The first option would be best.

Can you have a timer in your program that times out if it doesn't get a response from the driver? Does someone have an interface coded for .NET to Oracle that will do the error checking for you?

There are many paths that you can go down to get a working and reliable interface. It's a question of doing the research. I'm guessing that no one who read your post really has the answer on how to deal with it.