DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Querring/DML on 10g Parallel Database

Querring/DML on 10g Parallel Database

We are currently using 8i and SQL Server and are planning to switch to 10G.
    Is it possible to have a parallel database (uptodate copy) of Productional Transactional Database (PROD) in 10G and be able to querry and do DMLs (adding few additional tables and views) on it without disturbing PROD.

Please advice.

-Daljit
    Last edited by daljitsb; 07-21-2004 at 11:38 AM.

Also tell me how compatible is 8i client with 10G database and visa versa (10G client with 8i Database. I am having problems using 8i with 10G and 10G with 8i.

-Daljit

Can you explain more about what you want to do, with respect to the 10g upgrade? I don't follow you exactly there.

In general 8i and 10g are very compatible. Have you looked at the 10g upgrade guide, which gives details of compatibility between 8i and 10g?

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...b10763/toc.htm
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

[QUOTE]Originally posted by slimdave
    In general 8i and 10g are very compatible. Have you looked at the 10g upgrade guide, which gives details of compatibility between 8i and 10g?
    /QUOTE]

We want to have a test/report database available to us which will be real time copy of PROD (as far as possible) We should be able to add/change/select data from this test/report database without changing anything on PROD. Is it possible in 10G - how and how much?

-Daljit

There's an inconsistency between it being a real-time copy of PROD (that's the 8i db, yes?) and being able to change the data -- how would you resolve this? Are you just looking for a one-time replication of the 8i db, then replication ends and you modify the 10g data?
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

It can be one time replication. But we should be able to do this (replicating from PROD) as and when we need.
    Now the thing is that we need to preserve the views and other additions we made on our earlier test copy and bring it to this new test copy. If there is no staright way, we can surely do it by maintaining a script from previous copy.

-Daljit