DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ERwin 3.25

Unhappy

Just installed Erwin and have an ER diagram with all the entities, attributes and relationships but don't know how to implement these on the ERwin tool. Don't know how ERwin works. Pls help.
    mane

Thumbs up

basically, erwin has 2 designs : logical and physical designs

the context of the all the menus change according the type of design you are in. hence, if you want to generate/work with your database schema, you must be in the physical design where you can set the physical properties of your tables and relations.

you can document your logical design, forward generation, reverse-engineer, change the DBMS setting (oracle, access, db2, ...), set subject area, and much more like most design tools.

i am not using erwin 3.5.2 in my current workplace but i know it well.

hope that helps you get started. try and see what you can do with it; it will not explode :-) good luck

Cool

I have really played with it a lot but don't know how to convert the attributes, entities and relationship into columns and tables. I'm new to this. Do i have to draw the diagrams in the space provided on the screen or what. Give me a line by line action sequence to implementing the attributes and entities. You are talking to a novice. Thank you very much.
    mane

logical to physical mapping

my problem is mapping the logical objects to real tables. How do i do that using Erwin 3.5.2. Pls help
    mane

There is an online tuturial within ERwin 3.5.2. As soon as open Erwin, click on help menu, you will see it. It gives you step by step instructions, also let you do some exercises. It will take you about 1 hour to go over the tuturial.