Hi, I'm not sure if this is a right place to post this question but I guess the gurus in this forum can lead me to the right place. Here is my problem, I'm trying to import an Oracle dmp file into a 9.2 db running on a Sunfire v880 (4cpu, 8gb ram) w/ 4 FiberChannel disks. The import took 10 hrs to complete and the Disk I/O is pretty bad (write is at 1mb/s).

I was not convinced with the performance on Solaris 9 so we took the same dump file and import that into a 9.2 db running (with identical init parameters w/ even smaller buffer cache) on a windows 2003 server (2CPU, 2 SCSI internal disks) and guess what the import done successfully in only 2hrs ( 500% better).

We discussed w/ Oracle support about our problem and tried all of their tuning recommendations (force directio, separate drive for redo logs..etc) but the performance on Sun Solaris does not improve much. I suspect that there are kernel parameters in Solaris that we can tune to improve this. From the specs, sun v880 server should perform much (like a whole lot better) better than the server running 2003. If you have experience with this situation or have any advice, please feel free to post your comments. Thanks for your help.