DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: autoextend on datafiles

autoextend on datafiles

Hi Friends,

I have a tablespace named "USERS" and has three (3) datafiles allocated to it (users.dbf,users2.dbf,users3.dbf). I noticed that
    one of the datafiles has "autoextend on" and the other two has not.
    Is is ok to turn on the autoextend feature to all the datafiles?

Thanks

yes but with MaxSize Set
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

Thanks...

If my tablespace USERS gets full and need to extend, which of the
    3 datafile members will extend? Does it creates a 4th datafile
    with autoextend on, or one of the 3 datafiles will just grow bigger in size.

RTM (Concepts)
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

Originally posted by kris123
    Thanks...

If my tablespace USERS gets full and need to extend, which of the
    3 datafile members will extend? Does it creates a 4th datafile
    with autoextend on, or one of the 3 datafiles will just grow bigger in size.
    A additional file never be created in auto extend mode other than extending the existing file unless you create additional file.

Which file depends on the availability of room in the file sytem and file max size set.

So, Read The Manuals...as other member advised.
    Reddy,Sam

Originally posted by abhaysk
    ... with MaxSize Set
    I don't like doing that myself. Whether you do or don't set a max size, you still have to monitor file growth -- the difference is that with max size set, your db can come to a grinding halt if you miss a sudden growth, and with no max size it won't. I prefer the latter behaviour.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Originally posted by slimdave
    I don't like doing that myself. Whether you do or don't set a max size, you still have to monitor file growth -- the difference is that with max size set, your db can come to a grinding halt if you miss a sudden growth, and with no max size it won't. I prefer the latter behaviour.
    But if you're on an OS that has a maximum file size and your maxsize doesn't have a limit, you'll still get blown out of the water.
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by slimdave
    If not Maxsize set, moving 8GB file to some other file system is lot easier than 80GB file when there is critical situation of filesystem is FULL.

So, good to limit file always @ some size and then have unix script monitors all the file systems growth and email you results.
    Last edited by sreddy; 05-20-2004 at 12:53 PM.
    Reddy,Sam

Originally posted by marist89
    But if you're on an OS that has a maximum file size and your maxsize doesn't have a limit, you'll still get blown out of the water.
    So in that circumstance, there's no point setting a maxfile in the the database -- it's redundant, right?
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Originally posted by sreddy
    If not Maxsize set, moving 8GB file to some other file system is lot easier than 80GB file when there is critical situation of filesystem is FULL.

So, good to limit file always @ some size and then have unix script monitors all the file systems growth and email you results.
    I'm not saying that it's OK to let the file grow to 80Gb, I'm saying that the growth should be monitored and the file size controlled -- the real difference lies in what happens when your monitoring fails and your files reach some size that is perceived as the maximum desirable. Do you want your database to stop working, and your users be sitting idle at their desks while their managers scream at your manager? As a monitoring system it certainly works, but as a database availability and job security system, it sucks.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE