DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: upgrade both OS and DB at the same time

Hi,

I am planning to upgrade BOTH my OS and DB at
    the same time.

Oracle: 8.0.6 to 8.1.6

Anyone knows whether I will have any problem
    to upgrade my database by running cat***.sql?

If yes, can I use export/import to upgrade?

Thanks,

Take an export and a cold backup. Format the drives, install Solaris, install Oracle, create the db, configure it and import. There should be no problems.

you better export/import sicne you are changing from 32bit to 64, we experienced lots of problems with this

You didn't specifiy if this was development or production.

If it is production, a lot of red flags would be going off for me. You are trying to change three major elements (Oracle Version, 32->64 bit, and OS) of your environment at once. First, I would upgrade oracle version (Although I would upgrade to 8.1.7). Next, I would migrate from 32->64 bit and last upgrade the OS.

What?

After upgrading Oracle and then the OS don't you have to reinstall Oracle again for your new OS?

I am confused. Does Solaris allow this?

Nizar.

First upgrade the OS and then Oracle. If you are concerned about any problems with changes to both, then test it out on another machine and if everything is well, do the same on the target machine.

I think what marist was saying about upgrading the database to 8.1.6 first was to make sure that the actual database upgrade goes smoothly, and test all applications on the new database to ensure that there are no problems. This way, after you upgrade the OS you can just use a cold backup, or an export and not worry about any database upgrade problems since it will have already been done. This seems like a logical suggestion.

As far as upgrading to 32->64 bits before upgrading the OS, I'm not sure what he meant.

In any case you're correct, after you upgrade the OS you'll need to install Oracle again, and use latest backup. Make sure to follow Halo's suggestion about testing it on another machine if possible, it will help the production upgrade go smoother.

[Edited by pwoneill on 11-20-2000 at 12:22 PM]

My mistake, I read the note as if you were upgrading from Oracle 32 bit to Oracle 64 bit.

The reason I suggest upgrading your oracle version first is because certain oracle versions run on 2.6, 2.7, and 2.8 where the specific version you are running may not run correctly on your new target OS. If you upgrade oracle to a version that supports both target OS's then you can seperate your Oracle upgrade from your OS upgrade.

Also, when upgrading your OS, you may just be able to relink oracle and not have to re-install.