DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backup Strategy

Backup Strategy

Hi All,

I have a tablespace, which is growing 5GB everyday. I have 5 more data tablespace which is also growing in a high speed.

I would like to hear from you, what is the best backup strategy I can implement in such scenario, keeping the fast recovery overhead in mind. Say for example how frequently I should take online tablespace backup of the above tablespace? How many times in a day? Any other backup policy ,i.e incremental ,if yes how should I plan?

Thanks
    sumit

Backup Strategy
    Hi All,

I have a tablespace, which is growing 5GB everyday. I have 5 more data tablespace which is also growing in a high speed.

I would like to hear from you, what is the best backup strategy I can implement in such scenario, keeping the fast recovery overhead in mind. Say for example how frequently I should take online tablespace backup of the above tablespace? How many times in a day? Any other backup policy ,i.e incremental ,if yes how should I plan?

Thanks
    --

Sumit,

Ur best bet will be to use RMAN incremental backups.
    Take level 0 backup thrice, level 1 and level 2 backups twice a week.
    Also, consider taking backups of redo frquently (say every hour) and backup them to tape; helps in recovery. U don't need to take the entire tablespace backup frequently. In your place, I would take incremental backups daily and have a separate backup for the said tablespace, if it contains critical info... And recovery is easier if u use RMAN; my personal experience. Take a full physical and logical backup of the entire database on an off-peak day (maybe beginning Sunday afternoon). Try implementing data guard or such, so that users wont be affected during recovery, if needed..
    Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Suhas

Re: Backup Strategy

Originally posted by sumit
    Hi All,

Thanks
    5GB per day is really big.

if you don't mind can i know,

what type of data you store?
    how many users use your database?
    what backup strategy are you following now?

-Raja

Re: Backup Strategy

Originally posted by sumit
    Hi All,

Man, 5 gig a day is a hellva lot of data. That's 140gig a month just for that tablespace. What's the deal? You own stock in Seagate or something? Unless you're throwing your data off to tape I'd like to see your storage setup. I'm with rajabalachandra on this one. Something sounds wayyy out of whack.
    Oracle it's not just a database it's a lifestyle!
    --------------
    BTW....You need to get a girlfriend who's last name isn't .jpg

You must be from rich company to spend lots of money on buying storage.. Is there any DBA position available there?
    The man called Zorro

Originally posted by zainalj
    Is there any DBA position available there?
    You would candidate for a DBA position? Hmmm.... Where is this world going!?....
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Originally posted by jmodic
    Where is this world going!?....
    To Dark
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

Originally posted by jmodic
    You would candidate for a DBA position? Hmmm.... Where is this world going!?....
    You under-estimate me! well, it is doesn't matter as long as Oracle has certified me.
    The man called Zorro

Oracle has certified me
    Thas one of the dumbest thing that Market considers while filtering resumes ..
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

You under-estimate me! well, it is doesn't matter as long as Oracle has certified me.
    Is that a typo?

You under-estimate me well! it is doesn't matter as long as Oracle has certified me.