DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Create database from Full export dump

Wink

If the paths in the export exist on the system, it will try and create the tablespaces using the paths specified in the export file; especially if you pre-create tablespaces with different names. I'd recreate your database as is and then do the following:
    shutdown database
    remove control files
    rename all of your datafiles (with the new path names)
    startup nomount
    recreate your control files
    open your database

what mhaller said is correct, if you don't pre-create the same tablespace names, it will try to create them using the same paths that the old database used.

if the same path/directory structure doesn't exist anymore, pre-create the tablespaces with the same names as before, adjusting storage parameters if you want, but make sure it will hold all the data.

then do your import

once the import is done, you can move/rename tablespaces and datafiles at your leisure, just take a backup of the new database first and follow the correct procedures :)

How about changing the database name ?? does it really
    matter ??? and what should I set "character set" to??

I am using NT
    thanks,

Changing the database name is easiest when you create it. Just make a fresh database named whatever you want, pre-create your tablespaces if need be, then import.

Character set should probably be the same as the other database, or if it's just normal ASCII data use AMERICA_AMERICAN.US7ASCII . If you have other requirements find the right character set :)

The following Link May be helpful for you guys for final checkups in dealing with remote snapshots etc. I did upgrade couple of times and I didn't hit any problems. Ofcourse the databases size was small...

[url]http://oriolecorp.com/papers/dataxfer.doc[/url]

To avoid fragmentation, I prefer to use COMPRESS=N while exporting and I redefine storage clauses for new database, preferably at tablespace level, eliminating storage clause at table/index level. If you have big database, try importing with
    rows=N and comress=N and redefine/reoraganize your objects and then import data only with rows=y option.

[Edited by sreddy on 12-28-2000 at 05:26 PM]

Hi,
    I've installed oracle816 and I used preconfigured database
    installation (scott/tiger). and I did a full import.
    Oddly, everything went smooth except for the desinger
    stuff !!!!.

my question is how in the world I was able to do a full
    import from 805 to 816 without problem. eventhough,
    I did not specify same path and datafiles as in 805.

I did an EXP using system/manager FULL=Y.
    and I did an EMP using system/manager FULL=Y.

what about the designer repository.. How can I IMPORT TO
    816???????????????

ocpdude,

better if you would have started a seperate thread. cuz, you are talking about designer stuff here. You gotta deal with designer differently. Let me know, waht you are trying to acheive with little more information of product versions,OS etc. You need to use designer utilities, if you are trying to create/upgrade repository, not import utility.

sreddy,
    ...plz take a look at previous discussion.
    NOW,
    My 805 database has a desinger repository.
    So when I did a full EXP I assumed it included the repository with it..( Plz correct me if I am worng). I installed
    816 (using preconfigured database) on my NT server and did a full import, everything wen smooth(except for the designer stuff) any idea !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPE THIS HELPS
    thanks,

What are you trying todo:

Are you trying to upgrade/migrate repositroy to latest vesrion ? If so, from which vesrion to which version ?

Or

Are you trying upgrade the version of the database for repository. Iam confused...

If you are trying to upgrade your designer repository, Its not going to work with Import utility, you have to use Designer Repository Manager utility from old vesrion repository to new version thru Net8 connect string for that... you can't use usuall import utility...

Not sure, Hope you understand what I mean Or I am missing something here...

Exclamation ip

Hi, If you get the full procedure for 8.05 to 8.16, I would be intrested in taking a glance at it,

if possible email me mrahul@123india.com
    Rahul Khana