DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Expert One on One: Oracle

Expert One on One: Oracle

Seems there are 2 books one published in June 2001 and August 2003. I own one published in June 2001. Did anybody read the other one. How good is it ? how different this book is from original one?
    Reddy,Sam

That's just a different publisher isn't it? Wrox went titsup, and another one picked it up.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

There is however this "Effective Oracle by Design". Great book.Aug 2003.
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

Tarry,

I heared you saying that, thinking of to go and buy now, little lazy to drive to a bookstore 10 miles away from my home. I will buy tomorrow on my way to home from work.
    Reddy,Sam

That Kyte's second book is trully amazing. After "Expert One on One: Oracle" I thought a better book about Oracle database can't be written. After reading (not finished yet) his second book "Effective Oracle by Design" during my skiing vacation I realised how wrong I was.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

I went to his presentation at a local Oracle user's group meeting last week. Wow.

Thumbs up

I like th eway Tom Kyte present concept. Not just he writes (Huh! everyone writes/copy from documentation), he shows/explains practically how it will be when you do/implement. Even hiw small the column/topic may be. Have not seen an author present like him in hte area of Oracle Expertise.

* There was 2 hrs power outage in our area, endup driving to barns&noble to get the book
    Reddy,Sam

The sheer thrill is not only to read the books but get the real picture clearer in the head. I mean I do everything at work to realize the "proactive intrumentation of the code". That is a great way to prove yourself right and wrong. Both is refreshing. So reading Tom's book is for me also a matter of inspiration. I alwasy beleived in a simple methdology. A problem has a solution. and by doing it by the book makes it all the more simple.

For those who also do SQL Server work now and then. I'd suggest to read Ken Hendersen's books. They're excellent material as well.
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

I will see when I get a chance how Ken Henderson's books will be. Thanks for sharing info about Sql Server.
    Reddy,Sam

Tomas Kyte.....

I went and baught his book Effectice Oracle, by design this past Friday,and have just made it to chapter 2.

I can see already where this book is going to be a GREAT companion to the education I have recieved. I'm already implementing his techniques so that I can master them. One area that I can see where I will have some difficulty, considerable difficulty really is PL/SQL.

Great book so far.

Thanks are in order for, I believe, Tarry.

Rick
    Rick

Sigh.....those were the days my friend, I thought they'd never end.
    I too remember when this place was coo.