DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Shall I use Bind Variable in my procedure?

Red face Shall I use Bind Variable in my procedure?

I did a search on 'bind variable' in this forum but still need your help in deciding if I should modify my existing sprocs to use bind varaible.

In general, I have 4 types of sprocs -- select, insert, delete and update. And each of them look like:

-- SELECT
    create or replace procedure sp_select_tblname (i_col_PK IN integer, o_col_1 OUT varchar2, o_col_2 OUT varchar2)
    as
    tbl_rec tblname %rowtype;
    begin
    select * into tbl_rec from tblname where col_PK = i_col_PK;
    o_col_1 := tbl_rec.col_1;
    o_col_2 := tbl_rec.col_2;
    exception
    end;
    /

-- INSERT
    create or replace procedure sp_insert_tblname (i_col_1 IN integer, i_col_2 IN varchar2, i_col_2 IN varchar2)
    as
    begin
    INSERT INTO tblname VALUES (i_col_1, i_col_2, i_col_3);
    exception
    end;
    /

-- UPDATE
    create or replace procedure sp_update_tblname (i_col_1 IN integer, i_col_2 IN varchar2, i_col_2 IN varchar2)
    as
    begin
    UPDATE tblname set col_2 = i_col_2, col_3 = i_col_3 WHERE col_1 = i_col_1;
    exception
    end;
    /

-- DELETE
    create or replace procedure sp_delete_tblname (i_col_1 IN integer)
    as
    begin
    DELETE tblname WHERE col_1 = i_col_1;
    exception
    end;
    /

My questions are --

1. Do I need to use bind variable in my select procedure (sp_select_tblname)? There was a post said the way I did already uses the bind variable, just not in the form that I'm familar with :bv.

2. Do I need to use bind variable for my all other procedures? I feel I do, but I don't know how to use it. The only way I can do is change the static SQL inside the procedure (which what I'm using now) into dynamic sql and then use 'using' clause? Is that the way to go?

3. If the answer to question #2 is 'yes', then what's the difference of using dynamic SQL or statis SQL in PL/SQL? Or they are the same?

Many thanks to your replies! BTW -- it will be even better if anybody can point me to the detail instruction on how to use bind variable in oracle doc. I found a little bit discussion here and there, but nothing can teach me how to use it exactly.

Elaine

those procs you listed there are already using bind variables, pl/sql variables are bind variables.

Bind variables are a must if you want scalability and performance (except on a d/w perhaps). if a query is going to run over and over again, you do not want to be doing a hard parse on it each time

Also want to avoid using dnyamic sql is pl/sql - it will be slower than using binds with static sql

Go to http://asktom.oracle.com and search for bind variables on his site. You will find many ways to do it and the reasons why.

Thumbs up Very much appreciated!

Originally posted by davey23uk
    those procs you listed there are already using bind variables, pl/sql variables are bind variables.
    Good to know that!

Also want to avoid using dnyamic sql is pl/sql - it will be slower than using binds with static sql[/B]
    Do you mean 'avoid using dynamic sql in pl/sql' unless necessary (like DDL or SCL)?

Go to http://asktom.oracle.com and search for bind variables on his site. You will find many ways to do it and the reasons why. [/B]
    I will, thanks!