DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Need feedback of Veritas File System

Hello Friends!

I need to give justification of buying Veritas Volume Mgr with Oracle Extension kit to my manager.

We are going to use Veritas Netbackup for backingup data warehouse application. My manager want me to find out is it justifiable for buying veritas volume manager in addition to Netbackup because it's costing us 25K(Extra) for Vol Mgr with Oracle Extension.

I need following feedback if anyone is using this product

1. How reliable is the veritas file system. What are the pros and corns of using this product for warehouse application.

2. How does it help in row partitioning.

3. Any other issues that you may think important

Environment: Oracle 8.1.7; HP-UX 11.00; Data Warehouse Application (Size 500GB initial load, will grow 1.5TB within a year and expected gorwth rate more than 30%); Veritas NetBackup for backup.

Thanks in advance for your valuable feedback.

Regards,

abhi

I use Veritas Volume Manager and it is a very good thing to have. There are white papers and docs available for both products on [url]http://www.veritas.com[/url]

Thank you Halo!

I will look at the white paper to find out my reqd. info.

I would appreciate if you could share your feedback i.e tech specific stuff that I could get from this product.

Regards,

abhi

Veritas is a good product. I used it.

Warning:
    The Veritas software costs US$25K, but you may spend more dollars for the support.

It is very difficult to get good tech guys in New York. In one of the site, SUN+ORACLE+VERITAS took more than 6 weeks to setup a disk array system (RAID 1+0).

Before you purchase the software, talk to Sales Rep about the support, and training. Visit the office and figure out how big it is.