DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: output record sets with cursors

output record sets with cursors

I have a dimela where my PL/SQL script does not return any rows. Please understand that I am not running this in SQL PLUS , so I cannot use DBMS_OUTPUT package and I cannot select into variables because I am actually migrating data to SQL SERVER from Oracle using DTS. Here is my script:

DECLARE
    current_date Date;
    TYPE rst_refcur IS REF CURSOR;
    p_rec rst_refcur;
    BEGIN
    current_date := SYSDATE;
    OPEN p_rec FOR
    select a.wprptsta, a.wpitem, a.wpitmseg, a.mandisdv, a.conclass, a.wpwkmix, a.itsegman,
    a.wpitemno, a.contydot, a.geodist,a.wpitstat, a.localnam, a.locatnfm, a.locatnto, a.isghstdt,
    a.effdate, a.efftime, a.ffisyrcp, g.itmseg gis_itmseg from wpguser.wpgtbl80 a, wpguser.gis_wpgtbl80 g
    where a.geodist = '04'and a.isghstdt = current_date
    and a.wprptsta = g.wprptsta(+) and a.wpitem = g.wpitem(+) and a.wpitmseg =g.wpitmseg(+);
    END;

This gives me a No data returned error, which I can see why, but since I am crossing platforms from my source (Oracle) and my destination (SQLServer) through DTS, I don't see how I can define it.
    Please help.Thanks. If anyone knows or has links on how to do this migration , please let me know.

dev

Re: output record sets with cursors

Does the query return any rows if you run in sqlplus?
    Remember the Golden Rule - He who has the gold makes the rules!
    ===================
    Kris109
    Ph.D., OCP 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g DBA

no rows returned in sql plus

Thanks for the reply...no rows are returned, should there be some returned?

ok...I understand cursors a bit better now...apparantly, you need a FETCH statement to return the query...so I have put this query together:

DECLARE
    current_date Date;
    TYPE rst_refcur IS REF CURSOR;
    p_rec rst_refcur;
    wprptsta char(2);
    wpitem char(6);
    wpitmseg char(1);
    mandisdv char(2);
    conclass char(1);
    wpwkmix char(4);
    itsegman char(20);
    wpitemno char(7);
    contydot char(2);
    geodist char(2);
    wpitstat char(3);
    localnam char(25);
    locatnfm char(25);
    locatnto char(25);
    isghstdt date;
    effdate date;
    efftime char(8);
    ffisyrcp number(5);
    gis_itmseg char(1);
    BEGIN
    current_date := SYSDATE;
    OPEN p_rec FOR
    select a.wprptsta, a.wpitem, a.wpitmseg, a.mandisdv, a.conclass, a.wpwkmix, a.itsegman,
    a.wpitemno, a.contydot, a.geodist,a.wpitstat, a.localnam, a.locatnfm, a.locatnto, a.isghstdt,
    a.effdate, a.efftime, a.ffisyrcp, g.itmseg gis_itmseg from wpguser.wpgtbl80 a, wpguser.gis_wpgtbl80 g
    where a.geodist = '04' and rownum < 100
    and a.wprptsta = g.wprptsta(+) and a.wpitem = g.wpitem(+) and a.wpitmseg =g.wpitmseg(+);
    FETCH p_rec into wprptsta,wpitem,wpitmseg,mandisdv,conclass,wpwkmix,itsegman,
    wpitemno,contydot,geodist,wpitstat,localnam,locatnfm,locatnto,isghstdt,
    effdate,efftime,ffisyrcp,gis_itmseg;
    END;

However, I am getting

ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error
    ORA-06512: at line 32

where line 32 is the fetch line. I've read this error related to running out of stack face, so I have limited the query with rownum < 100, but I still get the mistake. Any ideas? I have a feeling that once I get this to work in SQL plus, it will also work in SQL Server's DTS, becuase I think they use the same runtime checking engine (SQL PLus and Oracle ODBC). Thanks all.

gratefuly,

dev

Hi! I think you are making life hard for yourself. There are several ways of doing a cursor loops. The explicit type with OPEN, FETCH & CLOSE should normally be avoided unless (e.g.) you have a need to leave the cursor open between calls to a procedure.

I suggest you look at this link for the simplest method http://www.csee.umbc.edu/help/oracle...5_ora.htm#1449

Great documentation...the problem lies in that I need the rowset returned to DTS, and I laso need the Select statement to do a comparison with the system date.

So I can have

DECLARE
    CURSOR c1 IS
    SELECT a.wprptsta, a.wpitem, a.wpitmseg, a.mandisdv, a.conclass, a.wpwkmix, a.itsegman,
    where a.geodist = '04'
    BEGIN
    FOR c1_rec IN c1 LOOP
    return(c1_rec); <-- gives an error
    END LOOP;
    COMMIT;
    END;

but in that for loop, I need the record set returned, and this wont work, also I will have to add a condition to the select to compare the system date...I'm not too sure about how to do that. Any ideas on either?

regards,

dev

RETURN is to give a value for a function. I suspect you need a procedure. How does DTS expect the data? All in one big array or a row at a time?

getting closer

ok...i got something to return the max date, which is just as good as using the system date for me...now I just need to return the row...I believe DTS expects rowsets

DECLARE
    CURSOR c1 IS
    SELECT a.wprptsta, a.wpitem, a.wpitmseg, a.mandisdv, a.conclass, a.wpwkmix, a.itsegman,
    a.effdate, a.efftime, a.ffisyrcp, g.itmseg gis_itmseg from wpguser.wpgtbl80 a, wpguser.gis_wpgtbl80 g,
    (Select max(isghstdt) max_date from wpguser.wpgtbl80
    ) maxresults
    where a.geodist = '04' and a.isghstdt = maxresults.max_date
    BEGIN
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('Entering..');
    FOR c1_rec IN c1 LOOP
    --DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('DATE' || c1_rec.isghstdt);
    END LOOP;
    END;

Now you see I commented the PUTLINE() , but I need something in that for loop that actually returns that particular row.