DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Create Spfile error

Create Spfile error

New 9.2 Db on Win NT4.
    Created using DB Config Assistant.

In the Admin NT folder under the Ora Home it creates the init.ora file, not as an ora file but with what looks like a DB identifier, so Windows see it as a 9876778545 file. e.g. initSID.ora.9876778545

Anyway - edited the INIT.ora and saved as a rich text file (.ora) so the create spfile command can recognise it. But I get this error:

> CREATE spfile='E:\oracle\admin\jm_ran1\spfile\spfileran1.ora'
    2 FROM pfile='E:\oracle\admin\jm_ran1\pfile\initran1.ora';
    CREATE spfile='E:\oracle\admin\jm_rman1\spfile\spfileran1.ora'
    ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-01078: failure in processing system parameters
    LRM-00110: syntax error at '{\rtf1\ansi\deff0\deftab720{\fonttbl{\f0\fswiss'

The original file with the DB numerical id is not recognised by the CREATE SPFILE command as a .ora file, and when I try to save it as a .ora file then it obviously gets messed up as the command tries to use it but can't read it.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by JMac; 01-09-2004 at 10:41 AM.

Re: Create Spfile error

Originally posted by JMac
    Anyway - edited the INIT.ora and saved as a rich text file (.ora) so the create spfile command can recognise it.
    Sounds bad to me. I guess you used WordPad(?) - try saving as "Text Document" - or better use Notepad (it does not try to be clever).

Will do.

In the meanwhile, tried to alter the spfile directly by using ALTER SYSTEM.

I could change log_archive_dest and then used ALTER DATABASE ARCHIVELOG, but I can't seem to change the log_archive_start parameter to TRUE using ALTER SYSTEM. How can I change this is my spfile (given that I can't edit my pfile and create an spfile from it?).
    Last edited by JMac; 01-09-2004 at 11:19 AM.

Yup - the PC I'm using defaults to WordPad for .ora files. Used Notepad and it works ok. Thanks.

But why was the init.ora file created with the numeric id?

And why can't we change log_archive_start with ALTER SYSTEM when it appears that Oracle are trying to push us away from editing the init.ora file in favour of a dynamic spfile?

And why can't we change log_archive_start with ALTER SYSTEM when it appears that Oracle are trying to push us away from editing the init.ora file in favour of a dynamic spfile?
    Who says you can't change LOG_ARCHIVE_START with ALTER SYSTEM command? Of course you can. You must have made a syntactical error or something like this. Probably you have forgotten to specify "SCOPE = SPFILE", which is the only (and mandatory) option for this parameter, since it is a static parameter.
    Last edited by jmodic; 01-09-2004 at 03:57 PM.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Yup - the PC I'm using defaults to WordPad for .ora files. Used Notepad and it works ok.
    vi FOREVER!
    Jeff Hunter
    marist89@yahoo.com
    http://marist89.blogspot.com/
    Get Firefox!
    "I pledge to stop eating sharks fin soup and will not do so under any circumstances."