DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Difference B/n LOGMINER and STREAMS?

Difference B/n LOGMINER and STREAMS?

Can anyone pls tell me what is the advantage of having Oracle Streams when we have logminer and snapshots for replication and tracking changes?

Help appreciated...

Hi

streams would be the future of replication..streams uses AQ to prpogate messages to hetrogenous environments using xml messages i dont think so replication can be used in hetrogenous environments..like if you want to replicate between oracle and Db2.I also guess streams supports more datatypes then replication.

regards
    Hrishy

Streams use Logminer to capture the data changes.I am using streams for my multimaster replication.
    Chan
    OCP7.3/8.0/8i/9i
    Sun Certified Sys. Admin

Originally posted by Chandra
    Streams use Logminer to capture the data changes.I am using streams for my multimaster replication.
    I think you might be a lill mistaken here. Streams use the "Capture Process" to capture the changed data from the Redo Logs and not log miner. Anyway, this doesn't answer my question anyway

Streams does actually use the LogMiner technology to "sniff" the redo logs to construct the LCR's.
    With Streams you can captire DML and DDL changes an propagate to one or more databases. You can configure any changes to be bi-directional and the tables that share data in the different databsaes dont need to have the same structure.
    Another advantage over Advanced Replication (that uses triggers to populate queues) is that you dont have to stop replication if you bring down one site so its more flexible

Might also be an idea to read the Streams Concept manual on OTN

Originally posted by Vipassana
    I think you might be a lill mistaken here. Streams use the "Capture Process" to capture the changed data from the Redo Logs and not log miner. Anyway, this doesn't answer my question anyway
    Hi Vipassana

oracle streams is a light wieght mechanism for replication beween oracle and non-oracle databases..replicaion canno replicae beween oracle and non oracle daabases..

jus wunderin how come we did no answer our quesion ;-

regards
    hrish