DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oracle 10G - THREAT TO DBAs??

Oracle 10G - THREAT TO DBAs??

As we know with Oracle 10G, everything almost is automated from Strorage Management to Memeory Management to I/O Tuning to Memory TUning to Backup and Restore procedures to even installation, upgradation and troubleshooting.

All that company needs is a conusltant who can come and setup the things initially; then maybe on a periodic basis they can have a freelancer come and look into the health and make sure everything is fine. That's it.

Is Oracle 10G a Threat to DBAs Job Security and Opportunities? Share your thoughts...

Singapore(Asia)-WebCentre business company
    hey...who's that consultant that's gonna come in and commission that server?? it has to be the dba-turned-consultant !! :P

moral of the story...u level-up with environment and adjust yourself to be deployable !

Originally posted by ngwh
    hey...who's that consultant that's gonna come in and commission that server?? it has to be the dba-turned-consultant !! :P

moral of the story...u level-up with environment and adjust yourself to be deployable !
    That's right. But companies may not keep permanent DBAs...the end result is that the no of DBAs reduces drastically....this is where we need to thk!!!

Do you think Oracle can handle all by itself? (as it claims)
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

Well, it is possible to build a db that's totally DBA-free, but then Oracle University will loose 'some' income. But a service-free database will sell better, so that will compensate for that.

Does anyone have some experience yet on this db? Is it really as bad as it sounds? (Why do I bother to certify, if Oracle is making my job obsolete?)
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.

I agree, just think how long it took before the CBO would work properly!

Originally posted by hacketta1
    just think how long it took before the CBO would work properly!
    Still is it working absloute ? ( ** NO ** )
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

You still cant deny that Larry is trying to make his products more easy to manage - have heard him say that there is a worldwide lack of DBA's and thats gotta hurt his sales figures. If a less well trained, less expensive employee can look after databases then it stands to reason that companies that cant afford to run Oracle now will be able to afford to run it in the future.

You have to adapt to survive, if the management areas improve you have to move your focus to areas which still require a physical administrator to support/implement.

The roles of a DBA change with each new release you just have to be flexible and be prepared to learn new skills.

Besides I remember attending the launch of 9i two years ago when they heralded that as the new self-managing database which was going to do away with DBA's

Regards
    Jim
    Oracle Certified Professional
    "Build your reputation by helping other people build theirs."

"Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit but its still funny"

Click HERE to vist my website!

Originally posted by abhaysk
    Recently we had a presentation on Oracle 10G by a very famous O'Really Publications Author (don't want to name him becoz of confidential reasons). He claims that he had implemented all the 300 new features of Oracle (including Automatic Storage Management, Automatic Memory Management) and also claimed that I/O tuning is completely tested to be fully automated and that Memory Tuning is atomated to a large extent. He claims that places where its not still automated, OEM can track, diagonise and give readymade automated scripts that one can just run and implement.

He says (and this is not a joke, he really said this) that its magical to see how every feature what Oracle claims, 'works' with Oracle 10G.

This is something that hair-raised me...and the result is this thread!!!