DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SYSTEM TBS grows - export from 8i to 9i

SYSTEM TBS grows - export from 8i to 9i

I exported just the data from my 8i database, into a 9i database. I had pre-created all the objects and indexes etc. And just imported the data and the users etc.

The system tablespace in 8i was 180Mb. In 9i the system tablespace was 332Mb after the import (It autoextended beyond the 250Mb I stipulated).

What could have caused this? Is a 9i data dictionary so much bigger?

Correct me if I'm wrong Honorable Senior DBA's, but isn't importing the SYSTEM-tablespace from 8i into a 9i database a little bit dangerous?
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.

System wasn't imported per se.

The application is owned by a user: ACOWNER & all ACOWNER's data was imported, but after the import the SYSTEM TBS was a whopping 320Mb. It was almost half that in 8i. Same basic table and index structure but 1 or 2 extra tablespaces. I just can't understand why? Is a 9i Data Dictionary just bigger then an 8i one? Does all the XDB, DRSYS etc fill up space in SYSTEM (I mean they have their own TBSs)?

If you are upgrading the database from 8i to 9i then I would do a full exp/imp of the database not just the apps user. Yes in 9i more information is captured in the data dictionary tables so the system tablepsace might have grown big I would not be concerned about that. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You can find an obscure note from Oracle about the increase in size of the system tablespace from 8i to 9i. You can get an idea of the default size by using dbca. It was around 180MB on Solaris for the seed database, if I recall correctly. 9i on W2K used about 400MB.

Originally posted by efrijters
    Correct me if I'm wrong Honorable Senior DBA's, but isn't importing the SYSTEM-tablespace from 8i into a 9i database a little bit dangerous?
    Why so, Grasshopper?

Originally posted by stecal
    Why so, Grasshopper?
    Grasshopper???
    -- Dilip

Well, I had the impression that a SYSTEM-tablespace from a 8i database was imported in a different 9i database.

I had the idea that importing a different version data dictionary could give problems version-wise. Aren't you overwriting 9i specific details/rows in the data dictionary?

A link to some Oracle-doc. about this subject is appreciated.

Greetings,

The Humble Grasshopper
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.

We are updating the app to 9i from 8i.

So ... I created a 9i version of the database: created Tabslespaces, datafiles, tables, indexes etc. Then dumped the data from one user's schema into an export file and imported it so we'd have some test data for the upgrade development work.

The data looks absolutely pucka, just the SYSTEM TBS grew so big. Just wondered if this was normal?

I assume my creation of the objects populates the DD with what it needs and the import has little, if any, impact on whats in the Data Dictionary. Would that be correct?

Maybe a stupid question, but is there a user that has temporary tablespace "SYSTEM"?