DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: First Time Importing a backup file

First Time Importing a backup file

I'm trying to import a full backup into our Test database. I've read through the manual and still have some questions? Do I need to basically remove everthing from our test database before performing the import? I tried the import without dropping the tablespaces and received numerous can't create tablespace because tablespace curently exists. I dropped the tablespaces and than received errors stating that the data can't be imported because the tablespace doesn't exist. I than created one of the dropped tablespaces and the data associated with that tablespace seems to importing. I'm sure I'll get some RTFM (which I have) but I've wait to see in black and white exactly what I'm supposed to do. You help would be appreciated.
    BradO

Import with IGNORE=y will ignore errors stating that the object already exists.

HTH,
    Jodie

RTFMM (RTFM more)

The way I would do this is:
    1. create your target database (say db2) empty.
    2. pre-create your users and tablespaces
    3. imp user by user (fromuser= touser=, do imp help=y to find out)
    Jeff Hunter

marist89
    Thanks for going a little bit further than RTFM. I was unsure if I needed to create the target DB tablespaces from scratch or not. Thanks.

Jodie
    I'll try the ignore=y one more time. It didn't seem to work when I tried it the first time.
    BradO