DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: backup options

backup options

we have 24*7 system and expected no down time. We have a standby also

last week we had issue where our index corrupted(ora-01502) in turn caused internal error(oracle support is saying this was due to cursor bind variables ...etc ..etc)

in such scenarios even if we activate stand by we will have the same kind of data issues, because standby is constantly synchronized.

is it best to have 3rd back up (don't know what kind) ..what is the best option for such types of failure to minimize downtimes and not loosing data

any advise is much appreciated

Obviously as you are maintaining a standby database you have archived log files. Providing you have a full backup and maintain a backup copy of these log files you can use them to perform point-in-time recoveries.

Regards
    Jim
    Oracle Certified Professional
    "Build your reputation by helping other people build theirs."

"Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit but its still funny"

Click HERE to vist my website!

Even with standby, you MUST have a hot-backup of the primary db.

May be you can try to offline the index tablespace, so your database can open and then rebuild the indexes later. Bug again, I don't know much about your DB, so might not be a good idea.

Hope that helps,

clio_usa - OCP 8/8i/9i DBA

Closing the barn door after the cows are gone department: You can apply a lag time to your standby so errors/problems aren't (somewhat) immediately transferred/applied to your standby. Of course, this implies you know **when** the error is taking place, can identify what causes it, and so on.

I agree, I keep my standby atleast 4 hrs behind my production, I would run dbverify against old production server to see which datafile has corruption
    Moe M Haroon

I would also recommend verifying/detecting corruption using RMAN
    Moe M Haroon