DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: standby instance

standby instance

I'm trying to create a standby database in 8i Win 2000.
    The problem occurs when I am supposed to start the standby instance following the steps from Oracle docs. I copied the datafile and standby controlfile created on the main database, I changed the init files on both sites, tnsnames and listeners are OK. When I try to start the instance on the standby site it complains: TNS adapter error. There is something missing in the docs, there is no instance creation (with ORADIM utility) on the standby machine ant therefore it cannot start the instance.
    Could anyone tell me what I should do on the standby in order to be able to start the instance?
    Thanx

I'm not sure if i understood well the question but you can use Oracle
    Data Guard Manager to create( to the same or different directory stucture) the standby database. The DGM is available on the OEM.
    Regards
    Alexandre
    In god i trust

You have to create service first using oradim utility on standby server (instance). If fact you can reuse same scripts (if you have them ) from the primary database.
    After this:

Put standby controlfile in the right location.
    startup nomount
    alter database mount standby database.
    One, who thinks that the other one who thinks that know and does not know, does not know either!