DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Two listeners on one machine listening to different databases

Two listeners on one machine listening to different databases

I'm having problem starting two listeners on one machine listening on different databases. The second listener is still looking under first listener and it thinks that listener has been started already. I make sure that I specify different IPC Key on two listener.ora.

TNS-1151 is the error that I'm getting now...Missing listener name... because they trying to strat the second listener under first listener.ora file. I'm confused..Oracle listerner is confused....

Please help....

Sorry, this is on NT and both of my database is on 8.1.6. Oh other thoughts....when I installed the second 8.1.6, it created second home that I specify, but during installation when it tries to configure using net 8 assistant and when it tries to create database for second 8.1.6, it was looking under first oracle_home instead of secone oracle_home...

you mean you have 2 8.1.6 instances, and you installed Oracle twice in 2 different locations ???

you just need to have Oracle binaries in one place (which is ORACLE_HOME), then you can create as many instances as you wish using this ORACLE_HOME, but you do not need to reinstall Oracle...

did I misunderstood ?

Originally posted by gaegoori
    Sorry, this is on NT and both of my database is on 8.1.6. Oh other thoughts....when I installed the second 8.1.6, it created second home that I specify, but during installation when it tries to configure using net 8 assistant and when it tries to create database for second 8.1.6, it was looking under first oracle_home instead of secone oracle_home...
    Can't understand why you want to have two Orale 8.1.6 on the same machine ??

Anyway, just change the listener name and port of any one of them and then try.

HTH
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

Yes,I have two 816 instances in two different locations on same machine. I already try using diff port and diff listener name...still does not able to start second listener.

well then should i yell.

pooooooooooost them here what are you waiting for.
    (ur listener.ora)
    Amar

There is a huge difference between an Oracle installation and an Oracle instance. The installation is (mainly) composed of Oracle binaries and message files, while an instance is made of datafiles, control files, redos and init.ora.

You should have only 1 Oracle installation per version of Oracle (here 8.1.6), but you can have as many instances as you wish using this installation.

Here you seem to have 2 x (816 Oracle installation + 1 instance), which means that you have a full duplicate of your ORACLE_HOME files...

From there, you can either delete one of the ORACLE_HOME (without touching to the instances of course), which would be by far the best choice, or you can play with ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_SID and PATH to switch from one install to the other. Unluckily, you are under Windows, so playing with the env is not as easy as with a real OS

I'm still trying to figure out what could be the reason to have two Oracle 8.1.6 software on the same machine...

Beats me...
    Amar

Originally posted by adewri
    I'm still trying to figure out what could be the reason to have two Oracle 8.1.6 software on the same machine...

Beats me...
    Don't you get it one is for test and one is for production.

Originally posted by pipo

You should have only 1 Oracle installation per version of Oracle (here 8.1.6), but you can have as many instances as you wish using this installation.
    Says who? There are definite disadvantages of having just one ORACLE_HOME per version per box:
    1. It forces you to upgrade all your databases on the same machine at one time.
    2. It forces you to have all options installed for all databases.
    3. It gives your entire server a single point of failure.
    Jeff Hunter