DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 10 performance tuning steps - Quack DBA ?

10 performance tuning steps - Quack DBA ?

Having done some performance tuning over a period of 6 months (data collection & analysis) on a 8.0.3 database server, I was able to achieve quick response time for the front-end application.

Now, I have a programmer colleague who is going onsite for project implementation. He wants me to give him 10 steps for performance tuning. Any suggestions ? I have given him some hints on creating data access paths and monitoring his queries for excessive disk reads, but he is not satisfied and wants the whole cake of performance tuning as a fast food option (2 minute noodles).

My opinion is that it can screw up the whole thing, if done without any understanding of Oracle internals. Most probably produce a Quack DBA like a Quack Doctor! Of course, pro-active tuning can pay off initially in emergencies of database slowdowns and at that by an experienced DBA.

I was wondering what other DBAs have to say on this issue or am I being too conservative ?

P.S.: Is there any book like 'Learn Oracle Performance Tuning in 24 hours'?
    Last edited by ggnanaraj; 02-14-2003 at 06:06 AM.

Try the lead test!

What we usually do is talk to all the developers.

Stick a gun in their face and tell them that if they don't get the code right the first time you are going to find out if they are allergic to lead.

That my freind, is proactive tuning.

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.

MH I think you need counselling, you appear to have a nervous reaction towards developers which always involves shooting them. Don't you realise there are other methods of dealing with the problem without resorting to gun violence:

* Cutting their hands off
    * Bashing their heads in with a bat/stick/large solid object
    * verbally abusing them till they cry

I think you'll find many of these approaches far mor fulfilling

Dr Jim (Psychotic Psychoanalyst)
    Jim
    Oracle Certified Professional
    "Build your reputation by helping other people build theirs."

"Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit but its still funny"

Click HERE to vist my website!

New Jersey bumper sticker:
    "Guns don't kill people; DBA's kill people"
    "The power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy except in those happy dispositions where it is almost superfluous" - Gibbon, quoted by R.P.Feynman

One bullit is about 22 cents, very efficient.
    I used to fantisize about dressing up like an eveil clown and letting loose with a paintball gun. Now that I have more experience with applications I take the "KISS" approach.
    KISS=(Keep It Simple Stupid)

Shoot Em!

MH

Originally posted by DaPi
    New Jersey bumper sticker:
    "Guns don't kill people; DBA's kill people"
    This has great potential!!

Me like!!

Re: 10 performance tuning steps - Quack DBA ?

Originally posted by ggnanaraj

Now, I have a programmer colleague who is going onsite for project implementation. He wants me to give him 10 steps for performance tuning.

P.S.: Is there any book like 'Learn Oracle Performance Tuning in 24 hours'?
    10 Steps for SQL performance tuning ?? OR Oracle Performance Tuning ?

You said, Programmer Colleague so, I assume SQL Performance tuning.

There SQL Performance tuning pocket reference by Oreily Publishers. It helps your pragrammer on site for project implementation. I don't think, even if there is a book "learning Oracle performance in 24 hours", a programmer can tune database. If he can do then we don't need dbas all the programmers are dbas .
    Reddy,Sam

I dont even allow programmers to wander near the database, forget about tuning the database. As far as sql tuning is concerned, I enjoy helping them in tuning their queries. This either I do it during their development cycle or when I notice heavy resources consumption in v$sql view.
    Agasimani
    OCP(10g/9i/8i/8)

Originally posted by agasimani
    I dont even allow programmers to wander near the database, forget about tuning the database. As far as sql tuning is concerned, I enjoy helping them in tuning their queries. This either I do it during their development cycle or when I notice heavy resources consumption in v$sql view.
    Most programmers write bad SQL. It is quite normal that a programmer has not heard of proper indexing or even what an execution plan is (I know of cases that programmers do not know what join is). The DBA should help the developers and look for poorly writen statements run against the database.

For all it matters is that programmers might not even care how well the SQL statements are written.
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com