DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: why must have init.ora in $ORACLE_HOME\database directory?

why must have init.ora in $ORACLE_HOME\database directory?

Platform: Oracle 8.1.7.3 on Win2k.

Why do we have to have init.ora file in the $ORACLE_HOME\database directory? This file simply contains a "link" pointing to where the real init.ora is. I tried to start a database with simply "startup" but it complained the file does not exist with LRM-00109 error. Is this for backward compatibility?

Thanks,

Try this

SVRMGRL>startup pfile=completepath

where completepath is the full path of actual pfile, like d:\oracle\ora817\database\initTEST.ora

Alternatively you can define path for pfile using ORADIM command. Type ORADIM on dos prompt to get a complete list of options.
    Agasimani
    OCP(10g/9i/8i/8)

Actually the the original init.ora file recides in admin/sid/pfile folder under the oracle home.Once the database is started with this file it will create one more defaultsidinit.ora in sysman folder under Oracle home.So next time when u type startup oracle will start with this default location.

Thanks for the replies!

I do know to start up a DB with pfile but am just curious why the file is needed in the database directory. I think in Oracle 8, the original init.ora file do reside in the database directory only.

YES it is little defferent in 8i.If u observe the contents of the init.ora from database folder it points to the original location of pfile.

I believe a128 is right and this is for backward compatibility as it used to not follow the OFA.

If you do a startup ( without indicating the pfile), Oracle will use [oracle_home]\database\initSID.ora.
    With SID being the value in the registry for ORACLE_SID ( might be under software\oracle\homeo ).
    Actually thats what it does on my NT/8.1.7.

You might get an error if you oracle_sid is not set or no initSID exist in the database directory.

Personnaly, I always give the full path....
    If there is no solution, it is because there is no problem - Shadok -