DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you test an upgrade?

newbie5 is offline Call me super inquisitive
    Thank you GURUS, stecal, marist90, pando, jurij

I believe my questions are adequately answered.

well I dont really understand what's the problem, you have to rename/move the datafiles if you want to use OFA (if you have not already done so). What's the big deal? You expect ODMA will do that for you without asking you?

Originally posted by newbie5
    Thank you GURUS, stecal, marist90, pando, jurij

I believe my questions are adequately answered.
    God, I hope so because I am probably going to get fired for spending so much time here.

Originally posted by newbie5
    All the control, redo and system datafiles are still in c:\orant\database while they should be c:\ora817\database after the upgrade to conform with OFA.
    WEll, for a start, neither of the two location is not even close to comply with OFA! I assume both c:\orant and c:\ora817 are ORACLE_HOMEs for theitr respectfull instalations (both directories very clumsy chosen, if I might add). One of the basic rules of the OFA is: none of the configuration files (init.ora, config.ora, ...) nor database files (control, log, data files) should reside under any ORACLE_HOME! They should always reside under ORACLE_BASE\oradata\SID\ directory (for Windows variants).

Should we have to rename them?
    That's entirely up to you. I personly would, and while I would be at that, I would also move them out from c:\ora817\database. With a simple OS batch script and an SQL script the whole thing of moving those files at OS level to another location and rename those datafiles in controlfile would take no more than a couple of minutes, even if there is 202 datafiles as you say (and btw, I hope you don't realy have 202 datafiles under your c:\orant\database).
    Last edited by jmodic; 02-03-2003 at 06:00 PM.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

newbie5 is offline Call me super inquisitive
    I am upgrading a 1997 created 8.0.3 database to 9.2.

See what I have to work with!!