DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Didicated Server and Shared Server

Didicated Server and Shared Server

Hi all,,

I have a question,,,

What is the different between (Didicated Server) and (Shared Server)?
    and what is the best when I will create a database?

Thanks,,,

A dedicated server configuration allocates a process and memory on the server for each and every user session. A shared server configuration shares memory and processes on the server between all your users. You don't have to run either/or, you can have a combination of both. I prefer a mixed environment, some dedicated for hard-hitting processes and shared server processes for GUIs.
    Jeff Hunter

Smile hi

hi

The dedicated server mode :-

for each client the database will allocate a resource dedicated to serving onli that client . we used this server mode . if the clinet is small number

The shared server mode:-

A server is configured to allow many number of users process to share very few process.so the number of user can be increased.with shared server process user process connect to a dispatcher.

even shared server mode can call as mts(multi-server mode)

abdulkadeer
    abdulkhadeer

A dedicated server environment every client connection has an associated dedicated server process on the the machine where the oracle server exists.

In shared server environment clients share processes on the oracle server.These shared processes are called 'Dispatchers' .

As mentioned by marist it depends on the type of environment and limitations on your server.

They are number of books and documentations which expalin still in clear with some examples.