DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Restoring with dump + archivelogs...

Question Restoring with dump + archivelogs...

All,

at one of our clients, we're installing a Veritas Cluster on 2 Sun machines for availability reasons.
    Untill everything is ready, we'll have our database running on a server without cluster software.
    Currently this database is running in archivelogmode, and the archivelogs are immediatly written to another server.
    On this second server, we've got an instance which has the same name, datafiles, tablespaces,... without any data/schema.
    As the client doesn't want to put the db's in standby-mode (don't ask me why :-( ), I'ld like to take an export of the production db each evening, and keep storing the archivelogs on the second machine.

Is it possible with the FULL export and the archivelogs to restore the db until the time of the crash? I'm pretty sure it is, but as I haven't done recovery for a long time (never had a crash before, and my B&R exam is far away...) I'ld be very happy if someone could briefly give me the statements,... to run.

Thx,

Rik

Re: Restoring with dump + archivelogs...

Originally posted by Arbe

Is it possible with the FULL export and the archivelogs to restore the db until the time of the crash? I'm pretty sure it is, but as I haven't done recovery for a long time (never had a crash before, and my B&R exam is far away...) I'ld be very happy if someone could briefly give me the statements,... to run.
    Take hot backups rather than taking export/import...
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

It's not possible. No way. Forget about it.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Not possible?
    So that's why I didn't remember how to do it ;-)

Thx guys,

Rik