DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Password file on WIN2k

Password file on WIN2k

Hello,

1) I shutdown the DB and also the service.
    2) I created the Pswd file by the ORAPWD utility.
    3) I started the DB by using pfile & in init.ora i mentioned remote_login_passwordfile=EXCLUSIVE.
    4) I granted the user XYZ the SYSDBA pervis.

Now i want to do the administrative task ( like Startup, shutdown ) from client machine.....but am unable to do so....

Can any one breif up if i have gone wrong some where....

To mention i have created the pswd file in the dir "%ORACLE_HOME%\DBS"

Regards
    Abhay.
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

Re: Password file on WIN2k

Originally posted by abhaysk
    ... To mention i have created the pswd file in the dir "%ORACLE_HOME%\DBS"
    Have you also set the registry key ORA_SID_PWFILE (or ORA_PWFILE) to reflect this non-default path of passord file? The default location for the PWD file in Win environment is %ORACLE_HOME%\DATABASE, not ORACLE_HOME%\DBS !
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Thanks Jmodic.....

Actually database was configured to work in MTS mode & so was unable to do ADMIN tasks from client.....

I changed to Dedicated Server Process & now i can do all ADMIN tasks from client.....

regards
    Abhay.
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

Hi,
    set the remote_login_passwordfile=exclusive parameter in the init.ora file.

Cheers.
    It is better to ask and appear ignorant, than to remain silent and remain ignorant.

Oracle OCP DBA 9i,
    C++, Java developer

Originally posted by rotem_fo
    Hi,
    set the remote_login_passwordfile=exclusive parameter in the init.ora file.

Cheers.
    wasnt it set already? unless my english understanding is wrong

3) I started the DB by using pfile & in init.ora i mentioned remote_login_passwordfile=EXCLUSIVE.

Cool

hello pando better u try this syntax

orapwd user='xyz ' password ='xyz' entries='xyz'

and try to delete the default password file . which was created by DBCA. and try to recreated the pwdfile . using the syntax. and the try to login as the xyz user and grant sysdba . and startup the database . using the startupforce command . and login as xyz and . check do u have as dba privilege . are not . if not not . open the pwdfile . and check the username . if the username is there ok . if not and try to recreated it again . try to and let me know . mail me to my mail id abi_nazeer@rediffmail.com
    abdulkhadeer

. if not not . open the pwdfile . and check the username . if the username is there ok .
    You check it in V$PWFILE_USERS not by opening the password file
    Sanjay G.
    Oracle Certified Professional 8i, 9i.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"

Originally posted by abdulkhadeer

and try to delete the default password file . which was created by DBCA. and try to recreated the pwdfile . using the syntax. and the try to login as the xyz user and grant sysdba . and startup the database . using the startupforce command . and login as xyz and . check do u have as dba privilege . are not . if not not . open the pwdfile . and check the username . if the username is there ok . if not and try to recreated it again . try to and let me know . mail me to my mail id abi_nazeer@rediffmail.com
    Defualt PWD file created by DBCA can be used i suppose.

Problem was

* I wanted to check if clinet machine registered in different domain can connect to server as SYS ( SYSDBA ) using pwd file.

* In init.ora it was
    ###########################################
    # MTS
    ###########################################
    dispatchers="(PROTOCOL=TCP)(SER=MODOSE)", "(PROTOCOL=TCP)(PRE=oracle.aurora.server.GiopServer)", "(PROTOCOL=TCP)(PRE=oracle.aurora.server.SGiopServer)"

In 9i if u create DB using DBCA...it will be defualty configured to work in MTS mode.

Using MTS u cant do admin tasks namely Startup & Shutdown

So changed to Dedicated Server Process by commenting above lines.

AS Sanjay said .... u cant see the contents in PWD file....it will encripted....U will see jus junk characters.

Abhay.
    funky...

Originally posted by abdulkhadeer

hmm I dont get it, and what has all this to do with setting a parameter which has been set already?

and no I dont open password file to see what users are there

also orapwd doesnt accept parameter such as user, are you sure you tried this....?