DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: shutdown normal toooo long

shutdown normal toooo long

Hi

I gave shutdown normal command at my db. It took 2 hrs to come down.
    Can by any means I can c due to which process / transaction it took so long. I am not able to connect to oracle as shutdown is in progress.

Vijay
    --------------------------
    The Time has come ....

Shutdown normal waits for users to disconnect.
    Try Shutdown immediate or shutdown abort.
    Check docs to see what they do:
    http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...start.htm#7871
    Ales
    The whole difference between a little boy and an adult man is the price of toys

vijay
    Shutdown normal will wait for all users to
    disconnect before.
    I use shutdown immmediate;
    and sometimes it takes long also.

So here is a workaround.
    connect internal/***** on another window from DOS if you are on NT after you executed Shutdown immediate on the first that is taking to long.

On the second windows:

C:\SQLPLUS
    Username:internal
    Password:*****
    Connected
    SQL> Startup force;
    (This will kill the first session shutdown immediate, and startup the database for you.
    NOW shutdown immediate ;
    Hope this help
    Arsene Lupain
    The lie takes the elevator, the truth takes the staircase but ends up catching up with the lie.

Unhappy

'Shutdown abort' is a very inelegant way to kill the database. I think you should use a 'shutdown abort' only when there is not another way to shutdown the database. For instance you have applied a shutdown immediate and the server doesn't response after a lot of time.
    Remember that after doing a normal startup and shutdown will allow you to know if the database is going to operate correctly after a 'shutdown abort'.

* If you use a normal shutdown, the database will not go down until all connected users have finished all their work and also they have been disconnected by themselves from the database.

* You can use a 'shutdown immediate' if you don't wan't to wait the users finish their jobs. I use this option in my night's coldbackups because I know the users are not working in that moment so it's a good option.
    If you use a shutdown immediate, the current transactions of the users will be automatically rolled back and after that the users will be disconnected automatically from the database.

* If you use a shutdown transactional the database will not go down until all connected users have finished all their current work (current transactions). After that they will be disconnected automatically from the database.

I hope this will be useful.

Regards

Lightbulb oralce

abdulkhadeer

shutdown abort will crash your database . so better u use shutdown immediate. it will disconnect the current user immediate. it good to use shutdown immediate. in case if you use shutdown transactional. it will wait for the user to compelete is work . so it will take a long time to shutdown . so if u use shutdown immediate . the database . will shutdown immediate . and you need not worry to about the database
    abdulkhadeer

Hi Guys,

I know all this.
    But my interest is that how can I find that due to what all reasons / transactions my DB took so long to come down.

Vijay
    --------------------------
    The Time has come ....

Shutdown Normal ;
    Simply wait for all user to type DISCONNECT command & Enter.

Wat reason do u want to know?

Best way is suggested by many a guys in ther posts.....
    SHUTDOWN Immediate;
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

Originally posted by vijay8282
    Hi Guys,

I know all this.
    But my interest is that how can I find that due to what all reasons / transactions my DB took so long to come down.

Vijay
    Well if you know all this why you are asking such question?
    Do you know you dont have any transactions going when you issued shutdown? If not then we can do some further research but if there is then it's expected behaviour, you have to wait for transactions to finish and users to logout