DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: very urgent linstner problem

very urgent linstner problem

Hi Friends

I need your urgent help
    I made some changes in listener.ora file I have stop the listener and restart it but the changes are not reflecting do I need to restart the database or not?

Thanks and hoping helpfull and frequently reply
    Shailendra

Hi,
    normally for example if you change the port for an instance
    you need not to touch the instance.

Have you changed the right (TNS_ADMIN set ?)listener.ora?
    Or is ther a syntax-error in the description ( did you changed it manually ?)

Orca

well I have add this parameter in SID_DESC
    i.e instance_name and service_name and I have removed the global_dbname so do I need to restart the oracle server or not?

thanks

Shailendra

Hi,
    if you change the SID of a DB you have to create a new init.ora/spfile then stop the instance and start the db ( ( ORCALE_SID=NEWSID ) with the new init.ora/spfile
    Orca

hi

No I am not assigning new id see what I have done in the listener file there was a parameter global_dbname I have removed that parameter and add two extra parameter i.e instance_name and service_name so I want to know what do I need to start the database server or not? If I modify the parameter in the listener.ora.

Thanks

Shailendra

Hi,

Changes made to the listener.ora does not required any restart of the db. restarting the listner alone will make the changes take effect. You can even used the "reload" command of the lsnrtcl prompt to load in chnages made to the listener file (listener.ora) without having to stop and start the listener.

Hence using the "reload" command, the updates to listener can be made almost transparent to clients trying to talk to your listener process.

I believe if you put back the "GLOBAL_DBNAME" in the SID_DESC part. your listener will be able to startup. I think it is some version diffrences in the listener.ora definition. Are you using 8i or 7 ?
    Regards
    CF

Hi Guys

Well Still I am facing problem I will brief my problem here.
    See I have two servers one is production server and another is testing server. I have the almost same(in terms of mts setting) init.ora files and I am trying it to connect through one java application but I am getting connection only with the testing server and not the live server.

Also I have change the listener as I have mentioned in my previous message in the same thread now friends I need your advices why I am not able to connect with the production server. Also tell me is there any role of sqlnet.ora or not?

I am usuing oracle 8.1.6
    Production server is on Solaris
    Testing server is on Linux.

Thanks
    Shailendra

Originally posted by shailendra
    I need your advices why I am not able to connect with the production server. Also tell me is there any role of sqlnet.ora or not?

I am usuing oracle 8.1.6
    Production server is on Solaris
    Testing server is on Linux.
    Well, may be I am asking you from basics, I guess you have 3 m/c. One with test DB on Linux, second with Prod database on Solaris and I say 3rd is your m/c from where you are connecting to two databases..

Are you able to connect to both these databases from SQL*Plus from 3rd machine? sorry if I am wrong

Yes sameer you are right I have three machine one is testing Database, Production server and one other server where sql plus and java application is there also I am using thin driver for connection.

I can connect both the server through sql plus but when I try to connect through java application I am not able to connect to production database server

Thanks

Shailendra

When you can connect to both the databases from third machine using SQL*Plus, then its not a problem of listener. Put the ip address of third machine in host file of production database (/etc/hosts)