DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: oracle audit

oracle audit

Hi there,

For my application i am using oracle as backend. As a normal user(not DBA) I want to log all the insert, update and delete transactions. How can I do that, please help in this regard. More appreciated if you able to provide me procedure or usefull links on the internet.

Thanks in advance.

Venkat Injapury

use triggers

Re: oracle audit

Originally posted by ivenkatn
    As a normal user(not DBA) I want to log all the insert, update and delete transactions.
    Well, as an abnormal user, how do you use the database? Can you write code, do queries, and create triggers? You need to be able to do these things outside of your application.

Well, this is not a job of a normal user. It is a DBA's resposibility to perform these tasks.
    Agasimani
    OCP(10g/9i/8i/8)

Originally posted by agasimani
    Well, this is not a job of a normal user. It is a DBA's resposibility to perform these tasks.
    ??? You mean developers aren't supposed to be able to do these things?

If you want to audit an Oracle database you should consider using Oracle's built in auditing. It's pretty simple and quite granular:

http://www.oracle-base.com/Articles/...nagement9i.asp
    http://www.oracle-base.com/Articles/...rainedAuditing

Cheers
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

Originally posted by stecal
    ??? You mean developers aren't supposed to be able to do these things?
    I also think that it is the DBA who is supposed to audit the DB, the developers are supposed to develop the software using the DB.
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

oracle audit

Originally posted by julian
    I also think that it is the DBA who is supposed to audit the DB, the developers are supposed to develop the software using the DB.

The AUDIT subject is strictly connected to the DBA privileges where as some aspects such as user to user privileges can be meted out to user level.
    Such as

Granting the Schema1 database object is given to any Schema level user under the privilege of Owner(User).

VAST

Re: oracle audit

Originally posted by vastdba
    Granting the Schema1 database object is given to any Schema level user under the privilege of Owner(User).

VAST
    Starting with 9iR2, DBAs (understand SYS/SYSTEM user, or any GAOP-user) can grant object privileges on objects owned by user A to another user B.

More strictly said, a new system privilege GRANT ANY OBJECT PRIVILEGE (GAOP) allows users to grant and revoke privileges on objects on behalf of the object's owner.
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

oracle audit

Originally posted by julian
    Starting with 9iR2, DBAs (understand SYS/SYSTEM user, or any GAOP-user) can grant object privileges on objects owned by user A to another user B.

More strictly said, a new system privilege GRANT ANY OBJECT PRIVILEGE (GAOP) allows users to grant and revoke privileges on objects on behalf of the object's owner.
    Thank you Julian for responding.

The object privileges granting by the user in 9i is supported but my understanding is 8i level will not be subjected.

VAST