DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Sync A Database

Sync A Database

We need to sync 2 databases. Prod1 and Prod2.
    We took a full database export of the production1 and import it into the prod2(data from Jan 1999 to Oct 28 2002.)

Prod1 is still populated and will remain populated until we switch to Prod2 which is scheduled to GO-LIVE in Jan 2003.

How do we go by sync'ing or grabbing the rest of the data from Oct 29 to Dec 31 2002?jus before we GO-LIVE?

We do not want to do a full database export.
    please advise
    Arsene Lupain
    The lie takes the elevator, the truth takes the staircase but ends up catching up with the lie.

Hi

Take a cold backup of prod1 and restore it on the prod2 machine...and you are ready to go..this method is much easier than export import...

regards
    Hrishy

Re: Sync A Database

Hi,
    The best way to sync your Prod1 and Prod2 databases,is to create a standby database and sync it with the archivelog generated by Prod1 database.The Prod1 database which is your primary database.You create a standby database Prod2 on different machine and transfer the archivelogs generated by Prod1 to the Prod2 database.In this case you dont have to manually do export/import of the dump.Automaticaly all the changes from prod1 will be applied on prod2(standby database) and when u have come to your go-live date then you can put this prod2 database as ur production database.But in order to create a standby database there are some pre-requisites and steps involved in it.Please go through the Oracle Documentation to create a standby database.

Regards,
    Rohit Nirkhe,oracle/Apps DBA,OCP 8i
    oracle-support@indiatimes.com
    Thanks and Regards
    Rohit S Nirkhe
    rohitsnirkhe@rediffmail.com

By the sounds of Ablakios' explanation of the issue, I'd have thought the Prod1 will not be used once Prod 2 comes online. i.e. like a direct cutover to a new production machine. If this is correct, a STANDBY configuration isn't required for this issue.

Cheers,
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

One more solution is take an incremental export and apply it on the Prod2 database when u r going LIVE!

Thanks,

GrJohnson is right. Once we GO-LIVE Prod2 become the primary database.
    Thanks to all of you.
    Arsene Lupain
    The lie takes the elevator, the truth takes the staircase but ends up catching up with the lie.