DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: general question

general question

Hello all Dba's

I just had a question before I jumped into this area of work. Are all DBA's essentially stressed out,workaholics who spend sleepless nights trying to recover from a disaster.
    Is there no concept of a 9-5 job (or maybe 11am-9pm to be more realistic) for the dba. Is it true that DBA's can get easily fired even after a brilliant performance in the past just for one error in the OLTP database.
    Please enlighten me on this.

Thanks

Don't think I've ever been a stressed out DBA and I work consitently from 8am to 4pm 5 days a week (there is of course the odd hiccup which requires out of hours support) generally if you do your job well I think you can get things to run fairly constistently.

As for being a workaholic - not a chance - I work to live, not live to work

And I've never been fired, mind you I've never totally fried a system which I could'nt recover from.

I'm sure there are others here who probably have a different outlook

Sleepless nights - I've had plenty of them but thats due to my 2 year old daughter - now thats stressful
    Jim
    Oracle Certified Professional
    "Build your reputation by helping other people build theirs."

"Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit but its still funny"

Click HERE to vist my website!

Same here although I have had the odd long weekend and a couple of major recoveries that took some time.

Most of the time my days are like jovery's (just replace the 2 year old daughter with 10 cats, 2 budgies, a fish, and one sick wife).

In terms of the job security thing - you won't get fired even if you really messed up assuming that you work in the public sector (I can say this because I was on the public sector for some time and seen some of the worst scenarios go unpunished). All other places you would get canned - just keep your head about you and make sure your backups work cleanly and test your restores and you should, for the most part, be okay.

See previous two response above.. that's like me as well.
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

You may find this article useful. Knowing the rules has saved me many times.

http://home.attbi.com/~agronosky/swim_with_sharks.html

Thanks all for sharing your views. I got some really bad inputs before. This has somewhat changed my outlook.