DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Database server rebuild with RAID 5 configuration

Database server rebuild with RAID 5 configuration

Hi all,

We are going to rebuild my server, the server had 5 disks and 100G per disk and it had RAID 5. This is going to be a development database and I know I know that we shouldn't use RAID 5 b/c we do a lot of writing and updating to this server but you know it's the MANAGEMENT DECISION and they already had in place so I just have to live with it.

I know I shouldn't put TEMP tablespace and log file on RAID 5, what is the best way for me to tell the ADMIN guys to configure this box to max out of the performance with what they already had RAID 5 on the server.

Can someone give me some opinion???

Thanks

You're only going to get one RAID 5 filesystem, right? Put everything on it and tell your users to talk to management when the whole thing is slower than dirt...
    Jeff Hunter

Jeff,

thanks for your response. Can I ask the the ADMIN to config where I can have 400 G in RAID 5 which I am going to for data, index etc and the other 100 G no RAID so I can use this 100G for my TEMP tablespace???

Does it sound ok???

Oh, I thought you said it was all RAID 5. Sure, if you can get one device as a plain disk, all the better.
    Jeff Hunter

We have RAID 5 on the server, so now it all depend on my how I want to config on this box.

Thanks

Jeff and all,

As I mentioned earlier, we are rebuilding the server and I have to tell the sys admin of how I want the server to be configured so I can have the max performance if possible.

Any way, I have talk to the management and they agree to configure RAID 1 on two disks so those two disks will have the OS and TEMP tablespace. And the rest running RAID 5 which I am planning to put the datafile and index. Having RAID 1 all across the server is not going to be happened here b/c of disk space.

Another word:

1. RAID 1 for OS and TEMP
    2. RAID 5 for Datafile

how does it sound , please advise

Sounds fine to me.
    Jeff Hunter

what's the point mirroring TEMP...?

instead of use that disk mirroring temp tablespace put redo log instead...