DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: standby database

standby database

Hi,

Is it true that LOG_ARCHIVE_DUPLEX_DEST and LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n can only point to the local drive? What if on Windows 2000 I map a drive to a remote standby database's system from my primary database server, is the drive considered to be a "local drive"?

Since we only bought the standard edition of Oracle8i for Windows, I have to write my own script to transport the archived log files fro primary to standby. How can I guarantee whenever the script is copying the archived logs, Oracle is not happened to be in the process of writing to it? Of course, this only happen to the latest archived log.

Thanks,

for standby database you set SERVICES in LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n, services defined in tnsnames.ora so basically there is no need to map a local drive (otherwise standby database would be useless)

How can you make a background process to use mapped drive?

However, you can set initial logarchive parameter like: alter system set log_archive_dest_n='location=\\SERVER_NAME\SHARE_PATH\'
    Oracle Certified Master - September, 2003, the Second OCM in China
    *** LOOKING for PART TIME JOB***
    Data Warehouse & Business Intelligence Expert
    MCSE, CCNA, SCJP, SCSA from 1998

To come to the original question, you cannot use LOG_ARCHIVE_DUPLEX_DEST for pointing to remote standby database. LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n is used for this purpose. Your TNSNAMES.ORA file must contain the details of the remote service in support of the parameter.
    The second part of the question is not well understood. Can someone elaborate?

Raminder Singh

Oracle Certified DBA: Oracle 8i, 9i

Mail me at raminderahluwalia@rediffmail.com.

Hi,

Sorry I did not make my original questions clear. We purchased Oracle Standard edition thus we have to go for Manual recovery mode for our standby database server.

To set it up, I was hoping, on the primary server, to map a network drive to the standby server. If I set LOG_ARCHIVE_DUPLEX_DEST to point to this network drive, whenever primary Oracle server is archiving, it will archive to the drive on the standby server as well via LOG_ARCHIVE_DUPLIEX_DEST. For some applications, a mapped network drive is treated as a local drive.

However, if LOG_ARCHIVE_DUPLEX_DEST does not allow a network drive, I have to write my own script to copy archived logs over periodically. My concern is that: is it possible the copying process only copies a partially completed archived log file because Oracle is still archiving a redo log to it? Better yet, are there any sample scripts I can look into?

Thanks again.

Originally posted by a128
    To set it up, I was hoping, on the primary server, to map a network drive to the standby server. If I set LOG_ARCHIVE_DUPLEX_DEST to point to this network drive, whenever primary Oracle server is archiving, it will archive to the drive on the standby server as well via LOG_ARCHIVE_DUPLIEX_DEST. For some applications, a mapped network drive is treated as a local drive.
    Is it possible to make a background process to access mapped drive? How do you approach it?

if LOG_ARCHIVE_DUPLEX_DEST does not allow a network drive
    You can set LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n to point to a network path. See my last post.

Calvin,

For you first question, I am not sure what you mean. I was referring to, for example, have N: mapped to the standby server's archive directory and set LOG_ARCHIVE_DUPLEX_DEST=N:\. Win2k is supposed to make it location transparent when a drive is mapped. But I am not sure how well Oracle can handle it.

For the second question, if I am not mistaken, in Oracle 8i Reference Guide, it says LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n is only valid for Enterprise edition. Since I only have Standard edition license, I can not use LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n.

Thanks,

Originally posted by Calvin_Qiu
    Is it possible to make a background process to access mapped drive? How do you approach it?
    Since in unix, you can use NFS to store your archivelog, it is also ok to store it in windows type NFS.
    www.cnoug.org

1, I mean that you can only map a drive in interactive mode. What would you do to make a Oracle background process or OS Service process use a drive mapped in login shell? Or you can work it out in another way?

2, Have you try to use "\\SERVER_NAME\PATH" at LOG_ARCHIVE_DUPLEX_DEST?

For the second part of the original question a128, I don't think such a situation could arise (where your script copies an archived redolog when it is in the process of being written.) It depends on the OS though. In windows, you can't copy a file which is open and being written to. Moreover, archiving is a one off process- online redologs are being written to constantly. Once an online log group fills up, log switch occurs and the entire filled up redo log is archived at one go.

Raminder Singh

Oracle Certified DBA: Oracle 8i, 9i

Mail me at raminderahluwalia@rediffmail.com.