DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Remote CPIO

Remote CPIO

Hi All,

I have a cpio tape backup of the production database. The tape drive is connect to the production server and I don't have a tape drive on the development server.

Is it possible to remotely restore this cpio backup on to the development server directly reading from the production server's tape drive?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance
    Najmal

The tape drive is just a storage place. I don't know what you mean by "restore" - restore from a cold backup, hot backup/archive logs? I guess what you asking is if you can create the production database on your development server. If you have all the files you need (datafiles, control files, etc.), then what does it matter where the backup comes from? You could simply take an export of the production database (assuming that's practical) and do the corresponding import on the development server. The UNIX cpio backup of files would be good only at the time it was taken - changes to the files after that are recorded where?

Smile

Look at This script . It shows you how to use rsh (or if you have to - ssh) to execute commands on a remote machine.

Either use rcp to copy the cpio file to the dev machine and then restore the backup file, or rsh with cpio and pipe to move it.

Once you have the file on the dev machine, follow your restore procedure. You don't need tape drive on every each Oracle db server.

Of course, you can also NFS mount dev machine share on the prod server and use cpio to restore to this share, but it's up to you to choose the right one.

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
    OCP 8/8i/9i DBA

Visit our Oracle DBA site