DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Moving datafiles in OPS!Possible!

Moving datafiles in OPS!Possible!

Hi all!

Query:

1.In the case of Parallel Server environment,could a datafile of a Tablespace in instance1 be transferred to other instance in case something goes wrong in instance1.

Is this possible in OPS environment!

2.What other files are transferrable in addition to datafiles in OPS.
    My concern is:Redo Log Files,Archived Log Files,etc.,Is this also possible considering instance1 has some temporary problems.

Regards,

Amit.
    Oracle DBA (OCP) v8i,v9i

Re: Moving datafiles in OPS!Possible!

Originally posted by amitstora
    Hi all!

Query:

1.In the case of Parallel Server environment,could a datafile of a Tablespace in instance1 be transferred to other instance in case something goes wrong in instance1.

Is this possible in OPS environment!

2.What other files are transferrable in addition to datafiles in OPS.
    My concern is:Redo Log Files,Archived Log Files,etc.,Is this also possible considering instance1 has some temporary problems.

Regards,

Amit.
    Datafiles in OPS are completely different from that of Dedicated database. In OPS, datafiles are made up of RAW file system and these fils dont belong to just one instance. These files are shared by all the nodes(instances) in the OPS. We have different set of logfiles for each of the instances. And controlfiles are shared by all the instances in the OPS. From this info, you should be able to get the answers for your questions.
    -nagarjuna

Re: Moving datafiles in OPS!Possible!

Originally posted by amitstora
    Moving datafiles in OPS!Possible!
    Oh! Is it realy possible?!?!? What a news!

I suggest you read Concepts manual first, and after that you read Concepts manual again, and after that you read Oracle RAC/OPS Concepts manual, and after that you read Oracle RAC/OPS Concepts manual again, and after that you read all other RAC/OPS related manuals. I think after that you'll have at least basic understanding what OPS/RAC configuartion is used for and what it offers....
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

that is harsh on him I bet, most of the people dont know how OPS works.. and again I bet most of the people think that OPS uses the same filesystem as that of any normal dedicated database.. and again I bet most of the DBAs dont know that RAW file system is the 2nd basic need for OPS, the clustered compueter being the base.
    -nagarjuna

hei,
    with the new tech being consistent developed, RAW is not a necessary for rac on most platforms.
    I checked metalink,for windows/linux/Solaris(using VCS)/Tru64 Unix/OpenVMS, all these platform support ClusterFilesystem.
    And it seems that AIX's Global FIlesystem also work? Not sure.
    And netapp's NFS mount is also filesystem

Sorry to tell you that my rac on linux still runs on RAW, did not dare to test the most new tech
    www.cnoug.org

supposedly in upcoming releases RAC will be able to work on it's own kind of 'cooked' file system as opposed to RAW. Apparenetly this is due to the major code re-write involved from OPS to RAC where RAC is much more efficient performance wise.

To 'move' files on RAC and OPS you need to export out all the objects, format a new slice a disk and then create a new link to that slice so that Oracle will recognize it, create the TS with that new link and then import the objects back in.
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message