DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: To Autoextend or Not to Autoextend ??

Hi,

Is it a good idea to leave the datafiles in autoextend mode or are there any performance implications of that.

Thanks
    Ronnie
    ronnie_yours@yahoo.com

You can if you think you can.

yes, no as long as your maxsize is not greater than the your maximum OS file size.
    Jeff Hunter

To me, it makes sense to set a maxsize for each datafile. Currently my maxsize is 4 GB. It's all about administration ease. If moving datafiles around, it's easier to come up with 4GB spare space to move the datafile to than 20GB. For 64 bit platforms 4GB for 32 2GB. Just my personal preferance.
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

nice way to blow up a file system (like temp or rbs ts)
    for runaway queries
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

Originally posted by ronnie
    Hi,

Is it a good idea to leave the datafiles in autoextend mode or are there any performance implications of that.

Thanks
    I would say no. It's not about performance.. It's about management..If you set autoextend on, few files may occupy the whole filesystem where as other files are still small in size, and you will not have equal sized files after a period of time. Setting autoextend on may cause administration related problems in longterms. So, set autoextend off and give that so called human touch to your database structure by setting the datafile sizes manually.
    -nagarjuna

It's about management. Your not going to set autoextent on unlimited on a rollback/temp tablespace.. com'mon, that's crazy. If your are going to use autoextent, you need to set a REALISTIC datafile maxsize.
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia