DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: MTS server

Hi all

I am running 7.3.4 in Sun solaris. Got 400 users in my 80GB database. Expecting the number of users 500 to 700. In this situation should I go for MTS. Currently the configuration is dedicated server. I don't have any resource issues. Please give suggestions!

Thanks

Thomas
    Thomas Saviour(royxavier@yahoo.com)
    Technical Lead (Databases)
    Thomson Reuters (Markets)

http://ora600tom.wordpress.com/

For 400 users also I will go for MTS, so IMHO you should

What is your CPU capacity??? Dedicated server uses more of memory and MTS uses more of CPU. So, it's upto you to decide about MTS or dedicated. And MTS has bugs in few Oracle versions.. Dont know the exact versions/patch sets. Check metalink for MTS related bugs.
    -nagarjuna

Do u have any application server ?
    as the number of users increases . one clear solution is go for MTS Architecture again in that , we need to work how many disparchers we need to configure . but as a starting point u can go for single dispatcher then further tune them . also if u have an App Server configuring differs.
    siva prakash
    DBA

Talking

Originally posted by prakashs43
    Do u have any application server ?
    as the number of users increases . one clear solution is go for MTS Architecture again in that , we need to work how many disparchers we need to configure . but as a starting point u can go for single dispatcher then further tune them . also if u have an App Server configuring differs.
    Yep, I would sujjest you to use on middle man (application server) for large no. of connections. We put heavier load on our server where Oracle runs, by using MTS. Instead, we can use another machine to host one application server and distribute the load across machines. This is useful when it comes to scalability. And we can avoid bugs related to MTS.

Any body know about another MTS??? This MTS is application server..
    -nagarjuna

Smile MTS

Thanks mates..

Yes, I got two Sunfire 4800 server. one is application and other is database. Actually I got problems in CPU but not memory. My plan is enable MTS with two dispatchers and 10 sessions per process for 400 session.

Any suggestion..?

also
    "also if u have an App Server configuring differs. - prakashs43 " --- What is the change in the configuration? Please specify.

Thanks.

Thomas
    Thomas Saviour(royxavier@yahoo.com)
    Technical Lead (Databases)
    Thomson Reuters (Markets)

http://ora600tom.wordpress.com/

Fine , Application Server also has its internal Dispatchers and queuing mechanism similar to Dispatcher in MTS Tuned Database . Here Application Performance is distributed by application server partly and Database server Partly . .
    if it is database intensive application ( where backend programs are many ) then dispatchers and sessions per dispatcher at Database level can be increased .
    else if it is a OLTP type of application where connectivity is the major criteria then more dispatchers can be tuned at the application server end (middle tier ) .

siva prakash
    DBA