DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Which archive destination is mandotory?- Urjent

Question

Hi All,

I am running the database in Archive mode. I do have two Archive Destination, One is in Standby System and the other one is in Production(Local). In parameter file i didn't mention any option like mandotory or optional for archive destinations.

Now oracle will automatically treat one of the destination as madotory and the other one as optional.Can you please tell me that which one will oracle treat as mandotory?

Please clear me as soon as possible.

Thanks in Advance.

Urs,

Aarif.M
    Aarif.M

If all relevant parameters are is left to their default values then oracle will not treat one of the specified destinations as mandatory and another one as optional. It will only require that archiving to at least one of the two destination is successfull, it doesn't matter to which one.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

it tries to archive to the local destination that is essential if it cannot archive to any local destination the db will hang even if u r able to archive to remote site . thus it is always better 2 configure 2 local sites along with standby site(s)

Originally posted by jmodic
    If all relevant parameters are is left to their default values then oracle will not treat one of the specified destinations as mandatory and another one as optional. It will only require that archiving to at least one of the two destination is successfull, it doesn't matter to which one.

If it doesn't archive to the standby then how the Database in the Standby updated. If Oracle ignores the archiving in standby when it fails then the database will not updated in the standby. Here the standby concept fails. So, can u plz. confirm your answer.

Yours,

Aarif.M

Aarif.M

If the MANDATORY flag in LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n is left to its default then it is set to OPTIONAL. So Oracle will try to archive to that remote destination, but if it will be unable to do it, it will not report any error as long as it is able to archive to other destination (it will only notify you about the problem in alert.log). This of course mean that standby will not be in sync with the primary.

But I can't see why you think that the standby concept does fail by this - the standby will be able to recover untill the last archive log recieved (that is untill the first missing archlog). It was your decision to allow some of archlogs to be missing in standby! If you don't want this to happen then specify the remote destination as MANDATORY.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

In windows mandatory is sort of a joke, actually Oracle can always archive even the destination does not exists, it will simply append the destination directory name with the log for example:

Code:
    log_archive_dest_1                   string      LOCATION=D:\oracle\oradata\ptl920\arch1 mandatory
    log_archive_dest_2                   string      LOCATION=D:\oracle\oradata\ptl920\arch2 mandatory

alter system switch logfile;

D:\oracle\oradata\ptl920\arch1\ARC00227.001
    D:\oracle\oradata\ptl920\arch2\ARC00227.001

generated

if I rename directories to arch3 and arch 4 

D:\oracle\oradata\ptl920\ARCH1ARC00228.001
    D:\oracle\oradata\ptl920\ARCH2ARC00228.001

generated!

Now I am not sure if this should be right or it´s a bug