DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: pctincrease set to 1 and auto-coalesce

Question

Hi everybody !
    I heard that the pctincrease tablespace's default parameter has to be set to 1% to force SMON process to coalesce free extent.
    Is that always true in 8.1.7 release ?
    Can I trust this rule ?
    Thanks a lot in advance.
    Helene

Cool

To be precise, we should set the pctincrease value greater than 0 to enable auto coalesce by SMON. But, the problem in setting pctincrease to nonzero value is uncontrolled growth of segments and size of extents. So, to trade off between nice extent size and auto coalesce, we are setting pctincrease to 1.

-nagarjuna

Move on to LMT and stop worrying about fragmentation.

Sanjay

Originally posted by nagarjuna
    To be precise, we should set the pctincrease value greater than 0 to enable auto coalesce by SMON. But, the problem in setting pctincrease to nonzero value is uncontrolled growth of segments and size of extents. So, to trade off between nice extent size and auto coalesce, we are setting pctincrease to 1.
    Its is uneven distribution of different extent sizes on the tablespace. But, not as such uncontrolled growth, Unless you have few thousands of extents. Its just 1% increase. If its 20%+ increase, thats TRUE...
    Reddy,Sam

Originally posted by sreddy
    Originally posted by nagarjuna
    Its is uneven distribution of different extent sizes on the tablespace. But, not as such uncontrolled growth, Unless you have few thousands of extents. Its just 1% increase. If its 20%+ increase, thats TRUE...
    I had default value of 50% in my mind when I said that..

-nagarjuna

Talking

You don't worry about pctincrease problem. I suggest that u keep your pctincrease to zero as higher pctincrease lead to uncontrollable growth, You just have to run a command after 1 week or so.

SQL>ALTER TABLESPACE tablespace_mame COALESCE;

I think by this way you will be on safe side.
    You cannot succeed if you fear to face challenges.
    MAS
    BE(CS) , OCP 8/8i.