DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: my database wont startup

Question

hi all,
    i have a 9.0.1 database restored from another host on a windows 2000 Advanced Server box, now when the computer is shut down, and re started again the database wont startup, and if i try to connect to the database using sys user it connects me to an idle instance, although i can see the service running in the control panel.
    so i have to point to my init ora file while mounting, and then i have to 'alter database open'.

What's wrong? why doesn't it open at the startup of the pc?

Thanks in advance.

Even though the service associated with the instance may be started automatically, it may not start the instance automatically. Use the ORADIM.exe utility to correct this. Something like this should sort you out with the appropriate modifications:

C:> oradim -EDIT -SID sid -INTPWD passwd -STARTMODE a-PFILE C:\Oracle\9.2.0.1.0\database\initSID.ora -SHUTMODE i -SHUTTYPE srvc,inst

Cheers
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

thank you Tim,
    it worked, i think i know what the problem was, when i first created the instance i didn't use the pfile parameter, but shouldn't it be looking for the init ora file in the default location? (where i left it).

Regards.

I was assuming you're using the SPFILE. If so I specify my SPFILE in this location only.

If you are using an init.ora file then do the usual thing and put it in the ORACLE_BASE/admin/SID/pfile directory and use an init.ora file in the ORACLE_HOME/database directory with an IFILE reference to the admin directory file.

Cheers
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog