DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: data synchronization

We have a main server running for many clients, one of our client wants his data to be on the client machine and the data to be synchronized with the main server on demand.

So the client will have Oracle client or personal installed and will be connected to the server.
    Can I use Snapshots ? what do I do I have to do get the snapshots of server data to client.. Can I schedule it as a job..but then how would that job which runs on the server post data to client ?

Is this possible ?

Thanks
    Sonali
    Sonali

The solution will depend on how the data for 'that client' is organized inyour 'main' server. Is it that a common schema stores data for all your clients ? Or, every client has its own schema ? Or, every client has its own database running on the 'main' server ?

What is the client's requirement - is the client supposed to get the data on a periodic basis or its going to be an on-demand stuff ?

What data the client needs ? Only from a few tables or the entire schema ?
    svk

thanks for the reply...
    The client will share the schema with other clients..in other words on the database server there will be one database and a SCHEMA which will be comman for all the clients using our application.

Customer may have other database on the server, with which we have nothing to do.

yes, the I would like data on the client machine be refreshed
    periodically, set time once very day say.

Client will not need the whole schema, just few tables and if possible just some records from those tables.. say 500 rows out of 100,000 rows.

Can you help me now ?

Thanks
    Sonali
    Sonali

That is a much better requirement specs.

Here is my personal opinion and other may disagree :
    First thing, don't even think @ snapshot replication. Snapshots are not really meant for these situations. You do not have a defined need of refresh intervals. You can at the most think of doing 'complete' refreshes. Building snapshots so that you can do 'Fast' refresh will add snapshot log objects to your 'main' database. This might not be good. Additionally, any change in the main database will have the overhead of maintaining these logs.

The solution for these kind of data refreshes is developing a procedure that can be run on a need basis. The procedure will extract data from the schema by taking the requirements into consideration and maintaining the integrity of data.
    svk

How do I write that procedure.. I mean it will be sitting on the database server.. so how do I write a procedure to keep data at the client machine rather than server. Is it possible ? Also, I do want to refresh data every 4 hours..
    I want that data to be sitting on the client machine.. so that the processing will be faster and thats the main requirement of this application I have been given...What do you say

Thanks
    Sonali
    Sonali

can someone help ???
    Sonali

The reason you're not getting many responses is because the requirements are pretty unreasonable. Besides, that is a management nightmare which I wouldn't wish on anyone. If everything is on the local LAN, I see no reason why access at the client would be faster than access at the server. If this is over slow connections (internet), then you need to look at three-tier so you don't have to bring all the data back to the front-end.

If you still want to implement this, you will need to look at replication, either multi-master or simple replication depending on what the users will do with the local data.
    Jeff Hunter