DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleared 1z0-025

Talking

Today I cleared the 4th OCP 8i exam, B&R.

As I thought, there was a lot of tricky questions, with more than one right answer. It was tougher than A&A and PT, because several times I had to choose the "best answer", not the "right answer"; A&A and PT had more straight questions. When I finished the exam I wasn't sure about 9-10 questions, but I got a pretty good score: 58/60

About what you told me of Sybex, you were right: I simply ignored RMAN chapters, and found out that TSPITR chapter was also very poor and obsolete, regarding to Oracle 8, not 8i. And there were less practice questions, most of them too much simple.

I'd recommend the following guidelines for 1z0-025:
    - ILT books (for the exam) and backup/recovery scenarios
    - Oracle manuals (for a deeper understanding)
    - A test box for practicing the scenarios of ILT book
    - The ILT classes I took last year helped a lot too

Hopefully I'll take 1z0-026 next week, and take a rest until 9i upgrade

Network admin is very easy.

If you rest, you will fall behind...

Congrats on passing B&R
    Edward Haskins, OCP
    OraKnowledge, Inc.
    www.oraknowledge.com

--"Live" Instructor-led Online Training for Oracle9i, Java and XML--

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ehaskins

I too passed B/R on friday last week . I have two more to go (PT & Net Admim).
    Mukobero

OCP 8i DBA

Hi

Congrats on ur Success

That is a Good score.

Even I had ignored the Rman chapters when studying for B&R

If you practice Hard from the Sybex books and ILT for Net Admin exam that shouldnt be very tough.

Good luck on next exam.

Regards,
    Santosh

Originally posted by santoshym
    Even I had ignored the Rman chapters when studying for B&R
    Many DBAs still ignore RMAN. Mostly the ones that have used Oracle since Version 5 or 6. They still use the tried-and-true methods. I recently declined a senior DBA position only because the other DBAs were very sceptic towards RMAN and upgrating to 9i :-)
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

Originally posted by julian

Many DBAs still ignore RMAN. Mostly the ones that have used Oracle since Version 5 or 6. They still use the tried-and-true methods. I recently declined a senior DBA position only because the other DBAs were very sceptic towards RMAN and upgrating to 9i :-)
    Those are the same people who try to propagate the myth that tables and indexes should be seperated and tables should fit in one extent!
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by julian

Mostly the ones that have used Oracle since Version 5 or 6. They still use the tried-and-true methods.
    You are right Julian I started with Oracle 6 on Sco Unix platform never crossed my mind some how feel more comfortable using backups the old fashioned way

Regards,
    Santosh

Well, when I took B&R classes, the instructor said something about the resistance to adopt RMAN. He said it was a "new" product, and most companies already had a stable and working backup solution.

In my opinion, RMAN gives a great advantage on managing backups, but is not so mature to be widely used (yet).

I don't know RMAN on 9i, but even being MUCH better than 8i, still comes a question... are the upgrade costs worthy of migrating? If the migration doesn't bring significant money savings or gains, then it's better to keep the system as it is.

Oracle 9i simpifies RMAN somewhat (from what I've read), so personally I think RMAN will become more popular as a backup utility. I'm going to be attempting to implement it on a couple of Development databases in the future, just so I can get more comfortable with it also.

Anyway adrianomp, congratualtion and that's a very good score you received.

Cheers,
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia