DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: raw partition or lvm for rac database in linux?

hi,
    I am trying to setup a RAC database with two DELL 6650 and a disk array, with two eth card, one for public network and the other for heart beating message and sga data transfer.
    I have two questions:
    1. For oracle ceritified combinations, there should be 2 gigabytes network card and one fiber channel switch , which is used to transfer sga data between instances. In my case, i do not have more than 2 nodes, so i directly interconnect the two nodes with general network line, is it ok to let it work with the cache fusion?
    2. I am using redhat advanced server, and i am not familier with this product. In my default installation, there is no LVM manager. I read several document talking about install RAC on linux, all using LVM manager. So, shall i use logical volumn manager, or directly use raw partitions?

Thanks for your advice.
    Good luck.
    www.cnoug.org

use raw partitions and managed them with LVM

FYI

According to 'eWeek', Oracle plans to announce the release of an Open Source 'Cluster File System for Linux' at LinuxWorld next week.
    If so, this will simplify the installation/management of RAC on Linux.

Gert

Originally posted by denevge
    FYI

According to 'eWeek', Oracle plans to announce the release of an Open Source 'Cluster File System for Linux' at LinuxWorld next week.
    If so, this will simplify the installation/management of RAC on Linux.

Gert
    Yes, i also heard that sistina also is going to release GFS for oracle rac database, i read it from inforweek, but cannot remember the detailed URL.
    www.cnoug.org