DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RMAN

Hi All,

Wolud like to know, How do u all find using RMAN instead of taking o/s online or offline backups? Because we are thinking of going for it replacing our o/s backup scripts.

How many of you utilizing it real time?

Please share your experience.

Cheers
    Najmal

I use RMAN to backup our development databases (as our developers work in shifts) so that they can be running 24x7 it seems to work fine and when we have had to restore it's been a realitivly painless experience.

The only reason we don't use it for production servers is because the veritas tape plugin licences are too expensive.

Regards
    Jim
    Oracle Certified Professional
    "Build your reputation by helping other people build theirs."

"Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit but its still funny"

Click HERE to vist my website!

I would say Go for it..
    I moved my backups to RMAN after a bit hasitation but started loving it after some hands-on.

Sanjay

We are using RMAN, but don't know what do you mean by "real time".

RMAN should be used in on-line mode, performing hot database file backup.

It is not our choice of using RMAN, but the project vendor did. The 1st good thing is it integrated well with Legato and tape drive.

Another good point (which I just discovered, from oracle) is it do "block by block" verifying while backup, which allow hot backup without turning the datafile to backup mode, and also detect block corruption during backup. (it will be too late if you find the backup file on tape is with corrupted blocks when you try to restore them).

The shortcoming are: not easy to maintain, you need to learn a new set of commands, short of documentation, buggy, Oracle support are not helpful on that product, difficult to trace the error ......

Ming

Thanks Sanjay & Jim

Hello Jim,

Is Veritas plug in licence for using RMAN with veritas netbackup ?

Najmal

Originally posted by najmalp
    Thanks Sanjay & Jim

Hello Jim,

Najmal
    Yes, I think it basically does a lot more than allow you to just use netbackup with RMAN but it was something we could not justify the extra cost for :( Thats finance departments for you.

Regards
    Jim
    Oracle Certified Professional
    "Build your reputation by helping other people build theirs."

"Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit but its still funny"

Click HERE to vist my website!

Originally posted by najmalp
    Thanks Sanjay & Jim

Hello Jim,

Najmal
    Yes, I think it basically does a lot more than allow you to just use netbackup with RMAN but it was something we could not justify the extra cost for :( Thats finance departments for you.
    Instead of Veritas you can use Legato Storage Manager, which is bundeled with Oracle Server Enterprise Edition. No extra license cost.

HTH
    Sanjay

I have found RMAN to be an excellent backup/restore process to use for Oracle. I have recovered databases more than once using the point in time recovery feature too - and this worked very smoothly.
    However I use multiple backup procedures - just in case. If possible, I also like to perform a database export of the most important tables (or the whole database if I have enough disk space). There are some recovery scenarios in which having a database export can be much less disruptive than performing a rollback of the entire database to a point in time.

(Please see Recovery scenario#8 - for more info in the following link

http://www.dotcomsolutionsinc.net/pr...very_scenarios

David Simpson
    http://www.dotcomsolutionsinc.net

RMAN

Hi All,

Is it possible to do a consistent whole database backup while the database is mounted not open using a recovery catalog?

Thanks in advance
    Najmal

RMAN

Any response please?