DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: archivelog files

I don't want my archivelog files genarated more often . So I created the bigger log files . Which way is better without decreasing the performance of the database . Is there any better way ?? . Database is OLTP . We are getting average of 100 hits/hour between 8am to 5pm . I already searched in tech docs by search word archivelogs but I didn't get the answer that I want .
    Raghu

and I have no standby database ..
    Raghu

Is bigger better? (I know that's too easy, Mr.H, so leave it alone...)

Depends. The Conventional Wisdom (to which I don't subscribe) is that your logs should switch about every 30 minutes. In theory, you could have three log files that were really big and just keep cycling through them about every 30 minutes. That's probably OK for a database that gets constant use, however, in the real world, databases get various levels of use throughout the day.

Larger redo log files take longer to fill and archive. You also have the potential to lose more data if one of them goes away. Smaller log files fill and archive quicker, but you will experience more log switches (probably) for the same amount of redo.

Personally, I prefer about 16 log groups depending on activity. If they switching every minute during heavy user loads and your archiver can keep up with the activity, who cares. As long as you don't get the dreaded "Checkpoint not complete" message, you're probably OK.
    Jeff Hunter

Thanks Jeff ..I got it ..
    Raghu