DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to capture activities for a specific session

Hi all,

I want to capture the activities for a particular session, not only the current activitiy but also the history. Please help. Thanks

The database is Oracle7.3.4 on Solaris2.6 box.

Thanks sreddy. Is there any other way except using TKPROF? Is there any v$ views I can use to capture all the sql statements for that session?

TKPROF is best

While there are a number of views (e.g. V$SESSION, V$SESSTAT, etc.) that hold stats for a SID, sreddy is right; the best is TKPROF. Not that hard once you've done it a few dozen times. Also, you need to know ahead of time that you will want to trace a particular session.

Also, the new OEM 9i has some great GUI tools to let you track just about everything a particular sesssion is doing, including stuff it's waiting for, its I/O, the SQL history, explain plan for any SQL, etc.

Pretty powerfull stuff. I have it running routinely on my production DBs.
    vaidis
    Senior Oracle DBA

You can find SQL_ADDRESS and SQL_HASH_VALUE in v$session and map these column values for a perticular session to the columns ADDRESS, HASH_VALUE in v$SQLAREA / v$SQL_TEXT_WITH_NEWLINES..

This will get you the query run by a perticular session...

Madhu Reddy
    xdollor@yahoo.com

Originally posted by lwangf
    Hi all,

I want to capture the activities for a particular session, not only the current activitiy but also the history. Please help. Thanks
    USE TKPROF/V$ views (V$SQL, V$SQL_TEXT, V$OPEN_CURSORS,V$SQL_AREA to get the SQL satements for current activity and Use logminer for history. I think its staight forward and pretty easier to use TKPROF than building your own customized queries/reports from these views specific to a session.
    Reddy,Sam

Thanks for all your help. I will use tkprof to gether the info.