DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Managed Standby

Hybrid View

Unhappy

I intend to send redo logs to our contingency site by setting it up as a Standby Server. I have investigated how this is done and we wanted to begin testing, but I noticed in our 'init.ora' file we needed to change the LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST and LOG_ARCHIVE_DUPLEX_DEST parameters to LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_1 and LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2 so that we can use the 'location=x' (used for archive logs) and 'service=y' (used for Standby Server) parameters.

However, when I attempted to change to these parameters I received an error message on startup which stated that it could not reconcile the archive log destinations. When on an Oracle course I asked this question and the lecturer suggested it may be the COMPATIBILITY parameter needed to be set to 8.1.7 (the version of Oracle we are using). Unfortunately , this had no effect. Any ideas? It MUST be possible to set LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_x instead of using the old way without having to be in managed standby mode...

These are my init.ora parms. I have 2 standby running in managed standby. XYZ2P is configured to stby-1 and XYZ3P is configured to stby-2. You don't need duplex destination.

Am I missing here anything ?

SVRMGR> connect internal
    Connected.
    SVRMGR> show parameter log_archive_dest
    NAME TYPE VALUE
    ----------------------------------- ------- ------------------------------
    log_archive_dest_1 string location=/oracle/oraarch/orada
    log_archive_dest_2 string SERVICE=XYZ2P OPTIONAL REOPEN=
    log_archive_dest_3 string SERVICE=XYZ3P OPTIONAL REOPEN=

log_archive_dest_state_1 string enable
    log_archive_dest_state_2 string DEFER
    log_archive_dest_state_3 string ENABLE
    Reddy,Sam

Do you have Enterprise Edition of Oracle server? Because with Standard edition only the old form of archlog destination parameter is supported, you can't use LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_1 with it. In other words, with Standard Edition you can't set up Managed Standby database.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Yep, I have Enterprise Edition...

What I need to do is have two locations for my archive logs (we have two sets of RAID with their own externa RAID controllers), and one for the location of the Standby Server. The obviously means I would need ARCHIVE_LOG_DEST_1, 2 and 3.

I reckon it might be because I don't have the LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_STATE_x bits in my init.ora... Although I thought that the default would be ENABLE so thats why I didn't insert it. What do you reckon?

Can you post exact error message you are getting at startup? And can you also post your exact settings of LOAG_ARCH_DEST_x in your parameter file.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?