DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Locate Table

Hi PPl
    I create a table under Scott...Now how can i find out which table space and datafile that table belongs to on svrmgr screen...Thanks

Hi,

Try query dba_tables and dba_data_files table. I suppose you can get answer from that tables.

regards,
    feroz

Thanks Feroz been thru these queries but the question is how can you pin point your table lets say a tablesspace consist of more than one datafiles how can you say which datafile your table gone into...without knowing SCOTT'S default tablespace....Thanks Again

Table and Tablespace are logical structures. All you need to know is which tablespace its belongs, not which data file(physical file) it belongs. I don't understand why do you want to locate the datafile where the table exists ?

Try DBA_SEGMENTS view.

I don't think you can locate a particular datafile on which table exists if tablespace has multiple datafiles. Depending upon the size of the table it might be on all the files too...
    Reddy,Sam

Hi again,

good point there. try use table called dba_extents and use colume "owner" "segment_name" "segment_type" "tablespace_name" and "file_id".

When you get the file_id number then you query dba_data_files table to get the actual datafile it stored into.

regards,
    feroz

U may use a couple of ways to do that:

1) as posted Sam:
    U have to use dba_segments + dba_data_files and join tables thru fields -->
    dba_segments(header_file) + dba_data_files(file_id)

2) as posted Feroz:U have to use dba_extents + dba_data_files and join tables thru fields -->
    dba_extents(file_id) + dba_data_files(file_id)

3) if u want to know where place each row from some table
    u have to use rowid:
    -- select rowid for each row
    -- convert it to character string
    -- extract fileid from rowid
    -- convert HEX fileid to number (+1)
    -- use dba_data_files for get filename